Installing a combi boiler on a working chimney?

My own view is the loft is the last place for a boiler.
I am sure there is somewhere better.
Any brick wall is fine for a boiler.

Sponsored Links
Interesting point about becoming infirm or having a broken leg. I am only 37 and if either happens the boiler will be the last thing on my mind!!
I broke my leg, hip, ankle and foot when I was 48, in an accident, and wasn't able to get into the loft for quite a while.

It can happen to anyone at any time.

I have installed flues on roofs from ladders. However, I am not sure that i would do it for a customer any more. Nor is it considered appropriate commercially.

I also extended my tiled pitched roof myself to cover an extra 30 square metres when I build an extension to a previous house.

However, to take a flue through a tiled roof takes me perhaps two hours or so. If its nice dry sunny weather thats not so bad off ladders.

But I notice that TV antenna installers always work off ladders! How they get away with that with the current health and safety great expectations I dont know!

Tony

I broke my leg, hip, ankle and foot when I was 48, in an accident, and wasn't able to get into the loft for quite a while.

It can happen to anyone at any time.

I have a female customer with a boiler in the loft.

She would never be able to get up there so she just calls me if there is any problem.

She does not have one but a good installer would fit a pressure gauge and filling loop within the house.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Balanced fan flues can run near-horizontal; the 45 degree angle was applicable to open natural draught flues. You can terminate a horizontal flue through a pitched roof if that is a useful option. There is also a flexible option which could run inside a third flue in the stack if there is one. There are special conditions for the terminal, but it can be done.

I believe that a sole trader may work off ladders, but any employee would have to have scaffolding.

Thats true but 45 degree angles are usually cheaper that 90 degree. But as you suggest if space is tight a horizontal section could be used.

With many roof angles its not possible to get enough space under a horizontal flue terminal with a sensible length of external horizontal flue depending on what you interpret a manufacturer's requirements are.

The TV antenna installers are often employees and still just use ladders.

Even for painting scaffolding is normally used now. It would be nice to see a definitive statement on whats permissable.

Tony

I would consider mounting the boiler on a frame made from unistrut . it would also mean you could site the boiler away from the existing chimney (flue) . this would mean you could just go vertical with the flue and have no bends and no issue with it location in relation to other flues . also fit honeywell frost stat linked to low limit pipe stat and lag to protect from frost .

Thanks everyone for all the advise..

I think after considering everything and pondering for most of yesterday afternoon I am sticking to the installation in the loft. I would have preferred the kitchen but space is at a premium and given the pro and cons of both - loft is the location

My main original question was the conflicting opinions I had regarding actually installing on a working fireplace, and I believe that has been answered as "yes". No one had mentioned about the flue being a minimum of 600mm from the chimney outlet, so thanks again to Agile.

... oh and there will be scaffolding on and around the chimney when the installation starts for easy access :LOL:

Thanks again all

We fit a fair number of condensing flue liners up chimneys, Mysteryman's favourite brand has a lot of options, for a start.

Regarding access, over the last few years we have used a truck mounted elevating platform company, where there has been access to site the truck. 9m reach is easily possible off a light chassis unit, go HGV and almost anything is possible.

I used to drive them myself (you need an IPAF cert and if applicable, an HGV) but I've found hiring them with a driver is more time efficient and you don't have to worry about insuring the thing.

Scaffolding has its place, but I find that invariably the scaffolding co breaks a few tiles on the way up or down. The truck doesn't touch anything so is less invasive. Usually cheaper, too, and it is gone same day.

Just watch out for hidden manhole covers in the drive......

flues have to be replaced when boilers are changed....ok that coud be as long as fifteen years if you get the right boiler installed properly...

Most houses in germany have boiler rooms on the ground floor, thats because its a sensible location, I think boilers in the roof is a silly place to be honest...

I think boilers in roof is bloody stupid.

Air collects at the highest point, that means a continual trip to check the pressure and top it up as necessary. I also consider Boilers in lofts a serious fire risk.

yes I agree DIA...just because it can be done doesn't mean to say that it should be done, or its even sensible...

too often we pander to clients wishes, we are engineers not marketing men!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back