tree stump query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a large sycamore, hardwood tree stump that is 1m x 0.5m high. The tree was cut down 2 years ago and slowly the stump has been rotting. There was a load of fungus on it and I noticed that the area it was on was easy crumbling away. I have had a go at hitting it with an axe and have removed around 20cm off it. It has also softened a bit, so I can now drill holes into it. Well I've put about 20 15cm deep holes in it and am now wondering what is the quickest way to get the stump rotting. Here are some ideas I have:

- cover it with wet soil?
- build a low wall around it and use it as a compost heap
- pour petrol into the holes and see if it will burn (stump is next to a fence, but i can put a metal sheet around it.)

Sponsored Links
forgot to mention, I think the stump is dead. There have been no shoots coming from it for 2 years, and it leaked sap for a month after it was cut down.

I think you can get a chemical that you apply to the top of the stump and then cover with a plastic bag and a rubber band. The chemical eventually rots the sump away (along with any wildlife that comes into contact with it).

Or hire a tree stump grinder for the day (about £100).

Or get a tree surgeon to do the grinding.

stump grinder, you should be able to get one from travis perkins for about £60 for the day. it will do it in about 10-20 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Not wanting to sound tight, but rather not have to spend any real money on the job. Well, for one, the stump is at the back of the garden and not too accessible. Also, It's a huge stump, and I imagine quite deep. I was more thinking of a way to get it to be flat to ground level, preferably by rotting in some way. I don't mind having to wait a year or two. I certainly did not have plans of planting in it's spot. No, I was just ondering how i could encourage the rotting process: compost heap, burning or covering with a mound of soil. I figured putting plenty of holes in would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back