Door lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I'm converting a serving hatch opening into a doorway (820 wide) & I'm after a bit of lintel advice.

The wall I'm making the doorway in is a structrual wall, it has the upstairs floor joists resting on it & is 100mm brick. The wall doesn't carry on upstairs, it only holds the weight of the upstairs floor.

The lintel above the existing serving hatch is 7" deep which seems a bit ott, but was probably used because that's what the builders had.

Wickes sell 100mm wide x 70mm deep concrete lintels, which would be convient for me to get, or I can get a 140mm deep lintel from a merchants.

Is 70mm deep likely to be strong enough for the new doorway, & what end bearing should I give? Would 100mm be ok for an end bearing.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
In most domestic scenarios, a 100 x 75mm pcc lintel will be ok for a standard door opening.

p.s. I would not but one from Wickes, they snap like carrots.

Ok, thanks, I'll go elsewhere for one. :)

The way the upstairs joists are positioned it works out that the new opening will be centered between two of them so there is no weight over the middle of the lintel.

Will 100mm end bearing be ok?

Sponsored Links
100mm was ok for years, i don't think gravity has altered all that much.

I got a 1050 long lintel from Jewsons (hope theirs don't snap like carrots) so I'll have about 115mm for it to sit on.

Thanks again noseall, your help was much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back