Soundproof new partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building an ensuite off my bedroom. Just wondering the best way to soundproof the wall to minimise "noises" that may travel through? The wall will be about 10cm thick with wood stud work and plasterboard on top (whatever thickness building regs require)

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Minimum 75x50 s/w studs with min. 25mm sound insulation such as crown acoustic partition roll or similar (min. density 10kg³) and 12.5mm gyproc 'wallboard ten' or similar approved (min. density 10kg/m³).

Depends how far you want to go. Standard regulations at present are to double board the stud wall or single board with 25mm mineral wool. If you want a bit more you could use soundcheck board instead of standard plasterboard - would only add a few quid to the cost. If you wanted to go a bit further still you could add resilient bars to the stud before boarding. Again, only a few extra pounds.

Hi, it's me again :LOL: Assuming this is for your new en-suite with a w/c installed? see here for some references;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315234140.html
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADE_2003.pdf

You may like to read this also;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=121084&sid=8a1ac65dac3c6a1ca

This is where I started from but the thread sort of drifts off the subject towards the end.

In a nutshell, the minimum required to meet the BR’s is 12.5mm Soundblock plasterboard (ordinary wall board is not acceptable unless you double up), plastered & with a minimum 25mm mineral wool insulation. In my own en-suiet here I used 15mm Soundblock with 50mm cavity insulation bats within the studwork; BI had no problems with it.

You should note that if you’re a semi or terrace & this is a loft conversion then you may have to meet additional requirements.

EDIT
Just thought I would add; sound insulation is only required where a room with a w/c adjoins another “habitable room”, say, another bedroom. You don’t need to insulate the walls separating the en-suite from your own bedroom or, say, a landing which is not a habitable room.

Sponsored Links
In a nutshell, the minimum required to meet the BR’s is 12.5mm Soundblock plasterboard (ordinary wall board is not acceptable unless you double up), plastered & with a minimum 25mm mineral wool insulation.

The minimum requirement is two layers of board plus skim or one layer with 25mm insulation. You don't need both. The regulation does not refer to the thickness of the board or the type - it only specifies a minimum density of 10kg/m². Standard 9mm wallboard is 9kg and skim is 2 - so standard 9mm board plus skim is often sufficient but 12.5 is a safer option. As I said earlier you could go a bit more than this for not a great cost. Depends on the sensitivity of the situation.

Note also: minimum cavity for timber stud is 75mm or 45mm for metal stud.

Just to clarify. I didn't mean to imply that building regs were necessarily required. A partition wall between an ensuite and associated bedroom does not need to be insulated to any particular standard. If you want to insulate for your own comfort then the regs standards are a reasonable starting point.

The minimum requirement is two layers of board plus skim or one layer with 25mm insulation. You don't need both. The regulation does not refer to the thickness of the board or the type - it only specifies a minimum density of 10kg/m². Standard 9mm wallboard is 9kg and skim is 2 - so standard 9mm board plus skim is often sufficient but 12.5 is a safer option. As I said earlier you could go a bit more than this for not a great cost. Depends on the sensitivity of the situation.
Where did you get 9kg/m from for 9.5mm wallboard? :confused:
British Gypsum give;

Standard Wallboard
9.5 = 6.3 kg/m
12.5 = 8 kg/m
15 = 9.8 kg/m

Soundblock
12.5 = 10.6 kg/m
15 = 12.6 kg/m

When I queried this last year, I was advised I could only use the specified density of the board itself & could not include the weight of the plaster skim which, at around 2kg/m, I agree would just creep you in on a 12.5 board. Initially ignorant of this little gem of a regulation, I had already lined one side of a 100mm stud using standard 12.5mm wall board so the easiest solution was to whack another 12.5mm board over the top. :rolleyes:

A partition wall between an ensuite and associated bedroom does not need to be insulated to any particular standard. If you want to insulate for your own comfort then the regs standards are a reasonable starting point.
If you re-read my post I did, in fact, state that; the regulation only applies on a stud wall between the room containing the w/c & an adjacent “habitable room”; or a wall with a door in it! If you’re just creating a partition within an existing bedroom then your OK (provided the current partition wall meets BR’s) but if you’re pinching a bit of a habitable room next door then you will have to insulate; seems your partner is OK to hear you fart but not the person in the next room! :LOL:

What about the door? If someone plays the trumpet you'll know about it.

Can't understand anyone wanting to do any bodily functions in the bedroom. You've got a separate room down the hall.

What about the door? If someone plays the trumpet you'll know about it.
Presumably that’s why the regs. don’t apply to a wall with a door in them; seems the ODPM (is that still correct?) may have actually considered that one :confused: ; I expect the (now retired) fat man had some considerable experience there :LOL:
Can't understand anyone wanting to do any bodily functions in the bedroom. You've got a separate room down the hall.
Wouldn't have expected anything less from you joe. ;)

You are probably more accurate with the densities Richard. BS648 has standard wallboard at 9 kg - might be slightly less, like 8 point something. But I always round up to 9 when I think of loadings. Anyway, I've submitted hundreds of building regs applications and 2 layers of 12.5 is always accepted.

Not come across the skim/board question but if what you submit is always accepted you don't tend to look too far beyond.

Cheers for all the replies, has given me some usefull info to get going with.

I shall check out the wallboard ten/soundblock stuff.

My bedroom is somthing like 24" foot long and the partition wall borders the stairs, i'm moving this back about 1m to create a nicer landing, then creating the ensuite, and the landing will have a new bedroom door on it for me. Does this new wall need to be fire resistant? (about to read the regs to see, but might be a simple yes/no for you guys to answer).

Anyway, I've submitted hundreds of building regs applications and 2 layers of 12.5 is always accepted.

Not come across the skim/board question but if what you submit is always accepted you don't tend to look too far beyond.
I can’t even begin to compete on that number of Building Regs. Submissions :LOL: ; the type of work I’m doing means it’s always done on a Building Notice anyway. I originally realised I’d made a mistake here on my own property, sought guidance & was advised 12.5 standard wallboard was not acceptable, even with added skim! The fact that Gyproc went to all the trouble of introducing Wallboard Ten would seem to bear that out but, as I said previously, I couldn’t get hold of it. It would make more sense if BG just upped the spec of the standard 12.5mm Wallboard, at least you’d know exactly where you stood! :rolleyes:

It would be rather annoying to find I originally went to all that trouble for nothing & it was unnecessary on several similar jobs I’ve done since. :evil:

I shall check out the wallboard ten/soundblock stuff.
My bedroom is somthing like 24" foot long and the partition wall borders the stairs, i'm moving this back about 1m to create a nicer landing, then creating the ensuite, and the landing will have a new bedroom door on it for me.
As the partition is not adjacent to another habitable room, my understanding is that you won’t need it.
Does this new wall need to be fire resistant? (about to read the regs to see, but might be a simple yes/no for you guys to answer).
As far as I’m aware, unless one or more floors is over 4.5m above ground level (usually a loft conversion), a ½ hour fire rating is all you need. A stud partition with standard 12.5mm wallboard & plaster skim will meet this I believe but I’m sure others will confirm. Check the construction of your current stud wall & it may be a good idea to phone & confirm with your LABC.

In view of what seems to be conflicting interpretation/advice (certainly on my part!) regarding the suitability of standard Wallboard over Soundblock, it would be nice if you could also check & post back on how your LABC interprets this as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back