Post double-glazing damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having just run to the expense of d/glazing I've now a damp problem in north facing spare bedroom :cry:
Other than flinging open the windows, which is not the preferred option, living in Norfolk's own Beirut, is there a simple, permanent cure ??
The best reply wins a petri dish containing a sample of the black lifeform
currently running rampant up the walls
;)

Sponsored Links
Usually airflow around a property will evaporate moisture, but new double glazing often seals up all of the former draughts, meaning the moisture in the air from the occupant's breath will form on the coldest points (in your case north wall.

New houses tend to have dbl glazing with vent strips - the windows are locked shut but there is still air flow. Replacement dbl glazing should have it too, but little of it actually does.

To get rid of the damp you will have to consider
opening the window regularly- fit some locks so you can lock them only slightly open;
fitting air bricks to the room;
turning the heating up.

However you get rid of the damp, bleach will be required to kill off the fungi. Good luck as it spreads real fast across any damp.

I have a similar problem in my flat. I have been told (though I have not tried, as yet) that a dehumidifier works well, removing the moisture in the air before it has a chance to condense on the cold wall.

Sounds plausible. I wonder if anybody out there can confirm???

Cheers for the lightning replies ! :D
Apparently the dehumidifier route needs about £300 for a goody :eek:
What's the gen with air bricks ? is it a bodger proof solution ?

p.s. Who wants the petri dish ? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You can keep the petri dish thanks, but don't leave it where it is cos it spores and this is bad for your health.

Bit concerned about dehumidifiers - if it takes too much of the humidity out of your house, you or your family might become more prone to throat and chest disease, so bit of a balancing act required!

Oh and your house might dry out too much which i am advised weakens timber, but I'm not an expert.

I had this problem as well . I tried a dehumidifier, but the humming kept me awake at night . So I invested in a few rolls of polystyrene (If i remember it's called 'Warmline' from B&Q)) and that isulated the walls and solved the problem . You can paint it directly or wallpaper over it, but if you put it on a wall be careful not to lean anything to hard against it or you'll dint it . Just to add i think it's about 5mm thick .

I had this problem as well . I tried a dehumidifier, but the humming kept me awake at night . So I invested in a few rolls of polystyrene (If i remember it's called 'Warmline' from B&Q)) and that isulated the walls and solved the problem . You can paint it directly or wallpaper over it, but if you put it on a wall be careful not to lean anything to hard against it or you'll dint it . Just to add i think it's about 5mm thick .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back