Solid wood worktop - butt joints - correct sealer/glue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to start a DIY project to install new solid wood worktops with my Dad.

I need to make two butt joints. I'll be using biscuits and bolts. The instructions for the worktops say I should apply an end grain sealer or Cascamite glue to the joint surfaces, plus a thin bead of silicone sealer. I can't find Cascamite in my local B&Q so what should I buy as an end grain sealant? Is there a specific product or should I use a varnish of some sort? Or would standard PVA wood glue be suitable?

Next question: I'm trying to find a natural cure low-modulus silicone sealer as recommended by the worktop instructions. None of the no-brand or Unibond silicone sealants in B&Q mentions whether they have these properties - they just say vague things like 'flexible'. Would these retail sealants be suitable or do I need to get something specific from Screwfix? http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42697/

Sponsored Links
Sili - Cascamite is now called Polymite and is available in small 125g tubs up to 6kg buckets.

Thanks Symptoms. It seems Polymite/Cascamite/Extramite are now all the same thing. Just need to find some now...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back