locating wall Ties for an old stone building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of renovating an old stone building in Europe and would like to prevent further movement in the walls by inserting a couple of wall ties ( aprox 7m in length - front of the house to the back ). I wondered how easy it would be to source these in the UK...I don't suppose it's something you can just buy off the shelf and there aren't many blacksmiths or iron works around these days. I'd appreciate anyone's advice on where I might buy these ( preferably in the Essex / Greater London region ). Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tie bars rarely work to stop walls moving, they tend to just hold a small patch in place and the rest of the wall keeps going. Presumably you want to put pattress plates on the outside and hide them within the floor/ceiling void?

You'd be better off working out why the walls are moving and sorting that out - at a guess your roof structure is pushing the wall out, or maybe the foundations are moving. Either way tying the walls together won't really help.

If you still want to do it, try Googling Ancon, Macalloy or Cintec as they all produce tension bar systems, but will cost a fortune (mostly stainless steel). Your best option is to look up a local steel fabricator in yellow pages and get them to supply you with round bar, threaded at the ends, with some fabricated pattress plates. This can be mild steel and probably cost a fraction of the price. Still won't help much though.....

Ossy, thanks for the reply. Yes, I'd like to add pattress plates to the front and back of the house and hide the ties in the ceiling space. The ties would be located either side of three gables ( the two originals and to an extension ). Some of the old stone work has opened-up in the gables, but this seems to have stabilised. I am in the process of repairing the walls, stitching them back together and hope the tie bars will be added insurance. It's what the locals seem to do with similar properties. But I must admit I share your reservations. I'll Google those names you provided, and also check out some steel fabricators in the area. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Contact Helifix they may have a solution to your problem. You can browse and contact the company via their web site: www.helifix.com

From my experience, the best product on the market!

Regards

Sponsored Links
'Alittlerespect', hi, thanks for the link to the Helifix website - I'll check them out too. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back