Advice on torching on underlay on a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace the flat roof of my workshop. I am using OSB3 boards and using torch-on felt underlay and capping. I am torching on 2mm underlay and whilst it is clear that the capping is torched on with an overlap on each sheet, does the underlay go on with an overlap too or are the sheets butted together? Also I presume that the underlay is laid along the fall in the roof and the capping is laid across the fall. Can anyone clarify?

Sponsored Links
The underlay should be lapped. But DONT lay the felt either other way in a criss cross pattern, this creates more joints where water can penetrate.

Ideally, laying the felt across the roof start with the 2mm, cutting the roll in half (so its 500mm wide) then the next run the full 1000mm.

When you lay the next layer on top of this, start with a full 1000mm, so that the join of the felt underneath, lies directly in the middle of the layer above.

I think ive just done a great job of making that sound far more complicated than it is. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice. I will take it on board when I start the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back