preparation for tiling a wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am shortly going to tile a wooden floor and was wondering about the preparation required.

I was planning on putting plywood over the existing floorboards, but am not sure what thickness to use.

My DIY book says 12 mm, other doucments say a minimum of 18 mm. Also what hole spacing is required ? Should the plywood be screwed
through the floorboards into the joists or just to the floorboards ?

any help would be appreciated

simon

Sponsored Links
It's best to put in extra screws in the floorboards (check for cable wires & pipe) then use 12mm plywood and screw it down every approx' 9" (230mm) to the floorboard will be okay. Make sure the length of the screw is no more than the thickness of the plywood & floorboards.

18mm is too thick unless you're removing the floorboards and just use that instead.

Sponsored Links
I have on a number of occasions used 9mm ply, but more screws are needed (6" spacing works). Make sure that the existing floorboards are secure and don't creak! You may need to drill out lots of pilot holes but a good battery drill makes short work of this. Cut the ply so that it is about 10mm smaller all around than the room perimeter, it makes it easier to fit. If you have radiator pipes coming up through the floor, cut out a 4 or 5" rectangle from the ply for fitting behind the pipe, to ensure that no large holes are left in the ply behind the pipe. If this is in a bathroom, check to see if your pipes are earth bonded before you start, as you could put the bond wire beneath the floor - ask an electrician for advice if you are not sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back