Avoiding a narrow channel between sink and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am about to fit a new kitchen sink in my tiny kitchen. It is an outset Stainless Steel with Drainer type. It needs to be fitted right into the corner and I want to avoid the problem with the old sink in that you end up with a narrow channel around the sink between the sink edge and the tiled wall which is always full of water and impossible to clean.

I have been considering putting a laminate upstand so it sits on top of the sink edge (therefore no gap) but as I would have to cut the upstand to fit to the the 5mm sink thickness, the idea of the cut edge sitting on the sink just screams water soaking in however I try and seal.

Another thought was to use some sort of tiling edging again going on top of the sink edge.

I want something that will look good and last well. Filling the gap with sealant sounds like it would look crap. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Tile over tile? What is the distance between the sink edge and the wall?

you could insert an L shaped piece of plastic under the rim of the sink upon installation, with the upstand either on top of, or below the tiles, depending what stage you're up to now.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dextrous. I guess that would ensure a watertight seal, but wouldn't I still end up with a channel full of water (unless I misunderstood)?

I am considering a half-round or cornice style edging on top of the sink (a bit like a bath seal) but I am struggling to see how this would be finished at the ends to look great.

Any tips?

True, the L plate would still leave a water logged channel. Other than what you suggest, and similar to it, would be a narrow plastic trim held in place by a thick bead of sealant below. I appear to be going through a "plastic" stage of late :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for your help, I am still pondering my options, but some sort of cornice seems to be the best answer...

Think that some bath trims that you suggest have got end cap profiles available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back