I need a whole new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just had a plumber tell me I need a new boiler.
I've got a Potterton Puma Combi, the pcb has definitely blown cos of water getting to it and he says the expansion valve has gone, also the pressure valve doesn't seem to work and there's a leak coming from the back of the boiler as well.
He said it would be better to replace the boiler than fix the problems cos it could end up costing the same and being left with an old boiler with a couple of new bits in it.
He quoted £1,500(London price), do you think his advice is ok?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
(did he say expansion VESSEL - the big round thing at the back?)

If 7-8 years old it's getting to be middle aged but would last for years if fixed. Your old system would need flushing for a new boiler which would probably cost more - what did he quote for?

If you're in SW19 I could fix it for a fraction of the cost of a new boiler. But if you live over a shop in Bond Street then would you please go away? Even at £1800 including a flush I don't need the aggro!

Yep, vessel not valve(doh!), also said the heat exchanger might be kerplunk! :cry:

ps, I'm in Southall(west london).

Panic over, found a cheaper(and better) plumber on a football site message board I go on, he actually specializes in these boilers and will arrive with a van load of spares and a new boiler if it's unrepairable.

Repair - No more than £100

New boiler fitted - No more than £900

:D

Sponsored Links
Dodgy368 said:
Panic over, found a cheaper(and better) plumber on a football site message board I go on,

I always thought that Chris wasn't the best or cheapest plumber out there :eek: Having said all that, if someone is doing boiler changes for £900 then I'll have to start looking for another job :eek:

I think he gets a special deal on Pottertons and is doing it as a favour for me, his going rate is a lot higher, plus all the fittings are the same so won't have any new holes to drill. :D

They don't make pumas any more so it won't fit the old holes! He'll be using a lot of secondhand bits and working at a very cheap rate to fix that lot for £100!

He said the newer model Potterton fits the same holes and if he keeps it down to £100 for a repair then I don't care what he uses! :D

Will let you know what happens on Friday.

They say you can take a horse to water..........

The man's mind is made up. Personally I think he is walking into a trap.

Of course it will all be done to part L, :rolleyes: dont know why I fokkin bother, all the regs we have now, plus all the regs coming in next april, there will always be some arrsshole do it for peanuts and bollllcks to the regs

900 best of luck

bet that buys
powerflush
part l compliance
part p compliance

and loads fo recalls when the heap of **** he has installed breaks down,

best of luck

Boiler was installed this morning, made sure there wasn't a horse tied up outside before I let him in.
Potterton Performa 28i(new) was fitted and rules and regs were followed on the orders of his boss and on Monday I will go to his company and pay £900. :cry:

Reason he could do it so cheap for me?
He's the boss of a well established(and quite large) company and was doing me a favour that he could afford, believe me, favours like this are commonplace between the group of fans on the message board I go on and most of us have been meeting up in the pub before matches for the last 3 years. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back