Colour Code when using Krone 237A blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Recently I was asked to run a couple of additional telephone extentions to an office at work, as I dont generally "do telephones" I simply ran two cat5e cables from the kit side of the phone system (Avaya IP Office 400) to the office.

At each end I terminated into a standard double faceplate and made patch leads at each end, nice and simple, all worked well.

However, my boss now wants more telephone extensions on the same floor. Rather than running new cable, I was planning on replacing the CAT5e boxes and faceplates with 30 pair 237A disconnection boxes allowing me to use all 8 pairs of the CAT5e cable.

Is there a specific colour code that I should be using when punching into the disconnection strips?

Sponsored Links
I belive the convention is blue is pair one, orange is pair two, green is pair three and brown is pair four.

And grey is pair 5.

From then up, change the base colour. White for the first 5, red for the second 5 (pair 6-10), black for next lot(11-15), then yellow and violet. After that, you can make it up as I can't recall!

Sponsored Links
be - blue
on - orange
guard - green
before - brown
sunrise- slate

we- white
ride- red
big- black
yellow- yellow
vans- violet

According to wikipedia beyond 25 pairs the convention is to wrap groups of 25 pairs in coloured ribbons. I dunno if that applies to british cable or not though.

The marker tapes are colour coded. The bundles are usually of 20 pairs.

The first bundle is in the middle, and they spiral outwards from there.

IIRC the first colour tape in each layer is orange and the last is green, so you can tell if you're looking at the clockwise or anti-clockwise end of the cable, then clear and blue markers alternate round each layer.

.....Happy days.... Forty 200 pair cables, waxed lacing twine, side cutters, wire strippers and soldering iron..... Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

The 20-pair binders (white-blue through yellow-slate) became common in the U.K. with the adoption of Krone blocks, since each strip provides 10 pairs so a 20-pair binder fits neatly across two blocks.

25-pair binders (white-blue through violet-slate) are the norm in the U.S. where Krone connections are little used and "66" blocks which have 25 pairs per block are commonly used.

And note that in telephone work we always call it slate, never gray.

.....Happy days.... Forty 200 pair cables, waxed lacing twine, side cutters, wire strippers and soldering iron..... Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

You forgot the bit about being in a cramped location, cold and dark and working against the clock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back