Circuits tripping after consumer unit change.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently changed a consumer unit at a persons house and when i turned it on it began tripping the rcd. So now i've taken out the main rcd and moved them onto rcbo's and told the owner that i will sort out the circuits that are tripping. Now i know that with the current regs everything must be on an rcd but because i've changed it over is there anyway around not putting certain circuits on an rcd because i know that there's a fault on the cooker itself that is making the rcd trip not the circuit and also it will save him money and myself hassle if i don't have to go around and either find the faults or re-wire new circuits.

Sponsored Links
I've recently changed a consumer unit at a persons house and when i turned it on it began tripping the rcd.
Why didn't you do a full test of the installation before you changed the CU? :eek:

i know that there's a fault on the cooker itself that is making the rcd trip not the circuit
If you know that there's a faulty appliance then that is not part of the installation and not your responsibility. You've done your job in identifying the cause of the symptoms - if he has an appliance which is broken then it's down to him to replace it.

and also it will save him money and myself hassle if i don't have to go around and either find the faults or re-wire new circuits.
If there are other faults you must find them - anything else is unacceptable.

i know that there's a fault on the cooker itself that is making the rcd trip not the circuit
If you know that there's a faulty appliance then that is not part of the installation and not your responsibility. You've done your job in identifying the cause of the symptoms - if he has an appliance which is broken then it's down to him to replace it.
"No its not - it was working fine before you came! Buy me a new cooker!"

;)

"See you in court - I can't wait to hear the explanation from your expert witness of how putting a circuit onto an RCD broke the cooker."

Sponsored Links
If you have done as you said "removed rcd & put them on to rcbo's" then what are you worrying about?

Have you tested the install & can you issue a cert?
AS BAS has said a pir (IR test of circuits as an absolute minimum) before swapping the cu would have highlighted any potential problems.

Anyway regs aren't there to be "got round" if you get my drift.

What is your definition of an RCBO? It sounds like you have put the cooker circuit onto the unprotected side of the CU to stop tripping. This is not how to sort things out.

In answer to your question, to 'get round' having to have a circuit protected by an RCD, you will almost certainly have to rewire the circuit in some way, either by rerouting the cable (deeper into the wall or on the surface) or use armoured or otherwise mechanically protected cable. It will be much better to correct the fault.

In some instances using individual RCDs on each circuit (RCBOs) will eliminate nuisance tripping caused by multiple high-earth-leakage devices such as multimedia and computer equipment.

It's possible that that by putting the cooker on an RCBO, the threshold of the RCD will not be reached, although judging by what you have said, this probably isn't the case and you need to repair or replace the cooker.

All of this is hypothetical, until you have actually tested the installation completely. By doing this you will be able to trace the fault.

Firstly, as I'm sure you're aware by now, the cicuits should have been tested during the CU swap if not before, I prefer to test first, sort any problems, then swap the CU, the last thing I want is to start finding problems late in the day and finish up working till stupid o'clock to sort it before I can go home.

Secondly, Switching the circuits on to see if they trip the RCD is not classed as testing, and never has been ;)

Thirdly, if the fault is with an appliance rather than with the wiring, I usually disconnect the appliance. I warn customers before swapping the CU that this is a possibility and that if it happens I will test the appliance for them but if it has a N/E fault it needs either repairing or replacing, simple as!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back