New Laminate Flooring on Old Laminate Flooring, is this ok ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our current flooring is laminate and has been down for about 10 years. We thought it's time for a change and so bought some new stuff. Are there any pitfalls with putting the new flooring down on top of the old stuff. Obviously I would use an underlay for sound proofing etc. but I don't think I need to worry about underlay with a damp proof membrane because the original flooring has been down for 10 years with no problems.

Sponsored Links
My natural reaction would be to say you should take up the old laminate floor first. Otherwise how will it fit under cupboards, skirting boards etc? Also if for any reason you ever need to get under it, it will be much harder with 2 overlapping layers.

Take up the old flooring. it is not a hard task, and your just being lazy if you dont :p

Sponsored Links
The old laminate has to come up as laminate laid on top will create a vapour trap causing the old stuff to rot below and expand as it gets wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back