Widening Driveway & Entrance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks.

I'm after a little advice. I would like to widen the driveway entrance & driveway itself to make easier getting in & out. Budget is a big issue (cheap & cheerful :oops: ).

I've added photos & a red line to give idea of what i'm trying to achieve. My questions are as follows.

I'm thinking gravel would be the cheapest option & beling a relatiively small area, something i can do myself. I will need to raise the area it a little to make level with the current driveway & obviously remove the handrail.
Can i use blackout membrane over the grass, then raise this area (with hardcore or type 1 ??) & then gravel over ..... would this work ??

I'm assuming i will have to get someone in to widen the entrance. If i had the brick post & the small amount of wall removed, will this affect the stability of the rest of the wall ?? ... or would the brick post need to be rebuilt ??

Driveway.jpg

Driveway2.jpg

[/img]

Sponsored Links
If you want to have the drieway widened across the pavement (drop kerb) it's gonna be at least £400 (mine is costing me £1300!), and that's just the start of your project

The trouble with gravel on what appears to be a sloping site is that it's all going to end up outside your front door!

And DIYedboy is right, the major cost will be getting the dip down moved by the Council (I paid £600 5 years ago). You might get away with not moving it for a bit, but the Council will notice eventually, and have a tendency to get a bit shirty!

The trouble with gravel on what appears to be a sloping site is that it's all going to end up outside your front door!

And DIYedboy is right, the major cost will be getting the dip down moved by the Council (I paid £600 5 years ago). You might get away with not moving it for a bit, but the Council will notice eventually, and have a tendency to get a bit shirty!

I have no intention of widening my drop down curb at the moment. I dont need to drive right over the kerb but only likely to clip it. I just need the extra width so i can turn in easier

Sponsored Links
you can't just put hardcore over the grass membrane or not, you need to dig down at least 6 inches to remove some of the soft soil and grass. Then you need to compact it well as you bring it up. Gravel won't work on the slope so the cheapest option would probably be concrete flags if you try your local dump you may get lucky and get some for free. Or maybe try freecycle?

As for your wall it will not fall over without a pier but its only a 4 inch wall and will be very weak, if you ever clipped it with the car it would fall over. It would be best to rebuild the pier and it would need a little work to tidy up the new end of the wall anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back