Anyone guarantee their work...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I recently quoted on a large built-in wardrobe for a customer and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing changing layouts etc I'm now being asked if I offer any kind of warranty....erm, they're not from 'round these parts so I'm taking it to mean, do I guarantee my work....
Has anyone had this before?
Any chippies out there offer guarantees?
I'm tempted to tell her she's not buying a telly from me but thought I'd better see what the general consensus is first...
Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links
I'm now being asked if I offer any kind of warranty....erm, they're not from 'round these parts so I'm taking it to mean, do I guarantee my work....

they may not be from round these parts but they have their heads screwed on.

i take it if you don't offer a guarentee you don't even have public liability insurance. take the money and run.

can't speak for other trades but being a plumber i guarantee every job i do from a tap washer to full installs.

customer will get the warranty on the parts fitted from the supplier
and a guarantee for the workmanship
from a drip to a flood i will always go back free and look at the problem
may even be that the customer is not sure how to use something.

any descent tradesman should offer guarantees and have insurance.

Why not guarantee your work?

Providing you stipulate that it doesn't include normal wear and tear, nor inappropriate use (like hanging their multigym in there), there should be no issue.
Doubt you'll ever be called up for it, plus it'll give you a load of good references.

all depends

if you supply and fit you are fully responsible for proper instilation and expected movement

you are not responsiblefor problems caused by missuse but you are responsible for problems with the materials you supply

if you fit there wardrobe components they supplied to an acceptable standard after the snagging list has been sorted its there problem although it would be reasonable to expect you to attend up to around 6 months if problems occur even if its just for you to say its the problem off your materials but i will fix it this time as a good will gesture

this why i dont do jobs more than around 10miles away ;)

i am a bench joiner/chippy that does loads off fitted furniture usualy constructed by me ;)

Sponsored Links
The way i work is, if theyre paying me to do a job, then i put right any problems that are down to me. Its only fair and it soon allows you to build a good reputation. Also helps you win more jobs.

Thanks for the replies guys....

I actually do have public liability insurance and I NEVER 'take the money and run'.
I know it's very easy for me to just say this without proof but in reality I often find, even with the difficult customers, that going the extra mile makes a big difference.
I guess where I am coming from is I always try to do that bit extra throughout, and also go back 'gratis' to make good, as a rule, but have never been asked before a job to offer guarantees....so I'm unsure of what to guarantee and what not too.

I will take your advice and guarantee 'quality of materials, proper installation with expected movement, excluding improper use of the item or materials'

Thanks again,
Pete

i basically tell people if there is a problem and its down to us we come back and sort it. It happens sometimes. people appreciate it when you do come back. I even use people where i have had to go back, as references.

Its also worth covering yourself though on your terms and conditions. We lay a lot of lawns. Its in my terms, that as long as they are laid as per good practice and that there are no defects in the lawn on delivery or completion, it is down to the client to care for the lawn as it is a living product. I had one guy called me back after a year complaining it was faulty. It was a mix of 2 feet high grass and bald patches where childrens toys were standing on it. He politely got told where to go!

As Thermo suggests, "terms and conditions" of any work to be done and subsequently under guarantee is the key to success. Think I'll get round to putting it on the reverse of any written quotes I provide, and draw attention to it. Then there's no chance of unreasonable comeback that can't be batted away.

Yep! 24 month guarantee on all work, in writing, but does'nt cover breakdown of manufacturers fitted appliances or fixtures and fittings as supplied by me or the customer, you have to cover your bottom.

Yep. Though the guarantee runs out when the cheque has cleared! ;)

If you’ve any pride in what you do & do it right you will rarely get problems but if you do, it always pays to try & accommodate the customer as best you can within reason/cost, even if it’s partially (or all) their fault or beyond your control; those that do will never be out of work &, once established, will rarely have to advertise! ;)

Spot on comment Rich'.

The area around where i live and work is small, so news would travel fast over botched up jobs. Work would dry up.
It takes a while to build up a reputation,, but start turning out rubbish work, and you're done for.

Roughcaster.

im happy to guarantee my work, doesnt come up very often, 2 times a year probably, but even so, how can you go to someones house and not be happy to guarantee the work?

Whether you offer a guarantee or not under common law any item or service supplied for a fee must be fit for purpose.
However it is up to a Magistrate or sheriff to decide if the service or item has
been fit for purpose at any given time!

Sponsored Links
Back