moving a power socket in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone clarify the rules for me. I would like to move a wall socket in my kitchen (downstairs sockets ring) - the cables were installed professionally (well you could call it that!) but were dangled behind some wall cladding I have now removed. Before I plasterboard the ceiling I want to move the socket - make the existing cables tidier and shorter and properly secure them to wall in plastic trunking. So its just a question of (turning power off - would i need to turn all off or just downstairs sockets with separate fuse) disconnecting cables - re-locating mounting box and wiring in cable to mounting box - am i allowed to do this ? regards

Sponsored Links
Kitchen area, Even minor work needs notifying under part p or registered(competent person scheme) should be used

Remember that for the purposes of Part P, 'kitchen' only extends for 3m from the sink.

Sponsored Links
Approved Document P.

And anyway, if you read the Part P SI very carefully, what he proposes doesn't appear notifiable even if he is within 3m of a sink. And on top of that, it appears he is going to be improving safety. So why get all upset about it?

as said on more than one currently running thread..
the approved documents are not law..
there is no mention of a "kitchen" stopping at 3M from the sink..

ANY electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable according to the building regulations.. it clearly says under schedule 2B...
2. Work which—
(a)
is not in a kitchen, or a special location,
this clearly means that work which IS in a kitchen or special location is notifiable..

I refer lilac to

1) Approved Document P, Section 0, Page 7. This gives a guideline to what a kitchen means, '.... in open plan areas the zone of a kitchen may be considered to extend from the edge of the sink to a distance of 3m.....'

2) Building Act 1984, S (7) (1) (b). This says in law that if guidance is given in an Approved document then the presumption is that there is no liability in a criminal or civil action. Thats law, not advice.

3) And the Whole of paragraph 2 of the Part P statutory instrument, not just a selected quotation that ColJack uses.

If you read the whole paragraph you will see that only work that
consists of -

(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit; or
(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit;

Is notifiable if in a kitchen.

As you are not proposing to add a light fitting, switch, socket or fused spur then the whole of that paragraph doesn't apply. Nowhere else in the SI is kitchen mentioned apart from a definition. Being in a kitchen is irrelevant to your proposed work.

I'd go ahead and do a better job

The SI gives a list of things that are not notifiable and says that all other electrical work is.

So afaict technically moving a socket anywhere is notifable.

2. Work which—
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,
(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and
(c) consists of—
(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit;

you obviously interpret this different than me then..

I interpret that as
electrical work that is adding light fittings, switches, sockets or spurs to existing curcuits is not notifiable unless it is a "special installation" or is in a special location or a kitchen

this conversely means that electrical work which is not adding sockets ( etc ) to an existing circuit IS notifiable, irrespective of it's location and from above we can see that adding sockets etc in a kitchen or special location IS notifiable.
Therefore ALL electrical work in a kitchen or special location IS notifiable.

Well ColJack, when you say

electrical work that is adding light fittings, switches, sockets or spurs to existing curcuits is not notifiable unless it is a "special installation" or is in a special location or a kitchen
I actually agree with you. It's when you take your argument further that you get it wrong.

how is it wrong?

adding sockets / switches etc anywhere but a kitchen or special location is NOT notifiable..

any other work that it NOT adding sockets / switches etc IS notifiable...

so as you have to notify to do anything EXCEPT add sockets etc wherever you are, AND you have to notify to add sockets / switches etc in a kitchen then ALL electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable...

Therefore ALL electrical work in a kitchen or special location IS notifiable.
ALL electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable...
no it isn't.

The Part P SI has a long list of work that is not notifiable in a kitchen.

Do you need to notify the installation of main bonding on the incoming mains water pipe that is under the kitchen sink?

ok, mental slip there.. I should have added "excepting items listed as not-notifiable in sections 1 and 3..."

I don't classify the items in section 1 as "electrical work", I class that as repair and rectification work..
by "electrical work" I mean new circuits, adding to existing, changing breakers etc...., not installing bonding that should already be there or screwing a socket back onto a wall or fixing a damaged cable..

If you read the whole paragraph you will see that only work that
consists of -

Is notifiable if in a kitchen.
so according to you I can put in a new cooker circuit and change a CU in the kitchen because you say that ONLY adding sockets / switches etc to an existing circuit is notifiable in a kitchen..?

so according to you I can put in a new cooker circuit and change a CU in the kitchen because you say that ONLY adding sockets / switches etc to an existing circuit is notifiable in a kitchen..?

1) Putting in a new cooker circuit or provision of a new CU is notifiable anywhere.

2) Installing sockets/spurs/lights/switches is notifiable if done in a kitchen (or special location or on special installation)

i.e. that category of work is not notifiable if done elsewhere. This is laid out in Part 2 of the Part P SI.

3) Part 1 of the Part P SI makes no reference to location and work authorised by that part is permitted anywhere that Part P applies to, including kitchens.

4) Part 3 of the Part P SI doesn't apply to kitchens either.

Very simple and here endeth the lesson

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back