Ideal Logic and Logic+ combi boilers.

The way i see it one should not be surprised about some of the anti Ideal boiler posts that appear on here , fact is alot of people have lost time , money , customers & had there reputations damaged by useing Ideal boilers ( not me never used them ) could say it is pay back time ??

those who are useing the logic or any other just released boiler (?) need to see what happens in the next 5 years , not I have fitted x amount last year & I have had no problems ect !!
As for these 5 year plus warrantys , well yeah alright we will see , just fitted an un-vented cylinder with a 25 year warranty , doubt the warranty is worth the paper it is written on !! :)

Sponsored Links
isars/icos didnt seem to bad for first few years.. same with response/minimiser. then kaboom, one breakdown after another.
tbh they will be better now they're using off the shelf hydraulics. The only thing they designed themselves was the heat engine, so we'll be keeping an eye on that :D

Hi All,

As a newbie (& also a 'custard'), hoping I don't get flamed for bumping this thread.

My boilers old, I mean really old. It's an Ideal Elan 2 (OV, Y *I think.*) Poor old girl's on her last legs.
(To be fair, she's done us proud for over 10 years, & no, I don't work for Ideal :LOL: )
Had a few lads in to price replacement, one recommended Worcester 24 standard, t' other an Ideal Logic+ system.

After reading about past efforts am now slightly concerned bout Ideal.
Given where they're based, shouldn't have too much trouble getting them to attend (Otherwise will attend Them) but was wondering about your opinions on the matter?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

As a newbie (& also a 'custard'), hoping I don't get flamed for bumping this thread.

My boilers old, I mean really old. It's an Ideal Elan 2 (OV, Y *I think.*) Poor old girl's on her last legs.
(To be fair, she's done us proud for over 10 years, & no, I don't work for Ideal :LOL: )
Had a few lads in to price replacement, one recommended Worcester 24 standard, t' other an Ideal Logic+ system.

Given where they're based, shouldn't have too much trouble getting them to attend (Otherwise will attend Them) but was wondering about your opinions on the matter?

Dont be concerned about the Logic boiler range. They are proving to be very reliable. I have been fitting mostly the combis over the last year or so and my customers are very happy with them.

The Logic system+ has a 5 year warranty.

There is a lot of negativity surrounding the older Icos and Isar's that Ideal made in the past and that is somewhat justified. However this shouldnt put you off the new products as they are completely different.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

colddad it isn't just the boilers but the manufacturers that you need to think about. for abismal customer service Ideal wins first go ever go the are the scum of the industry steer clear is my advice.

the elan was along with the classic good boilers on the whole then came the response, icos, isar, evo all tubs of crud!!

Worcester Ri, Vaillant ecotec, are more expensive but you get what you pay for.
mid price range you won't go wrong with baxi, potterton. main even vokera
take the advice of someone who recommends a decent make and so the door to IDEAL lovers!!

Dont be concerned about the Logic boiler range. They are proving to be very reliable. I have been fitting mostly the combis over the last year or so and my customers are very happy with them.

The Logic system+ has a 5 year warranty.

There is a lot of negativity surrounding the older Icos and Isar's that Ideal made in the past and that is somewhat justified. However this shouldnt put you off the new products as they are completely different.

Regards

but the customer services (or should i say lack of) isn't any different!!

Thanks for all your replies, Playing catch-up

Was worried about both reliability and also customer service, after all, it's ok to use 5 year warranty as selling point but, if fitter fits and then runs, leaving me with Ideal customer service to honor 5Yr warranty every 6 months, not going to be a happy bunny :evil:

Ideal aren't the only manufacturer to offer such a warranty, whilst we haven't a bottomless bag of cash (I wish) would rather shell out a little extra now to avoid breakdowns later (especially after our last couple of winters.) Any recommendations? My (albeit rudimentary) calculations suggest we need at least 24Kw to run the house (4 bed semi, 2 baths)

My little lad's quite poorly, the trouble I've had even getting a quote almost caused me to buy a rifle and head for nearest clock tower, last thing needed right now is a sub standard replacement.
(Might be the wife buying the rifle otherwise)

Help

Dont be concerned about the Logic boiler range. They are proving to be very reliable. I have been fitting mostly the combis over the last year or so and my customers are very happy with them....

People were "very happy" with the Response for about 3 or 4 years. By then the model was discontinued.
Ideal have not made a decent boiler since the Classic; it is a rubbish company with a rubbish product and a rubbish service.

We are currently renovating our new house (new to us - it's a 1930's semi with no central heating whatsoever) and we have decided to go with the Ideal Logic+ on advice from my fitter. The reasons we are going for this boiler are as follows:

- 5 Year Warranty (Parts and Labour)
- Well established company (don't expect them to disappear within 5 years)
- Size of unit

The last of these reasons is probably the most important to us as we are fitting the boiler in the kitchen and want it enclosed in a cupboard. IKEA, who we are getting the kitchen from, do not make a "Boiler" wall cupboard so we have been restricted in what we can use. The cupboard that we have gone for is 920 x 500 x 350 (mm) - given that the casing is made from 18mm board that leaves the internal dimensions as 884 x 464 x 350 (no need to account for the back)

These are the boilers we had considered before this along with their sizes and required clearances for their enclosure: (I am ignoring the top clearance as the top of the cupboard can be cut to accommodate this)

Baxi Duotec 28 HE
Dimensions: 780 x 450 x 345
Clearances: 150 x 10 x 5
Overall Req: 930 x 460 x 350 (too tall by 46mm)

Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior
Dimensions: 710 x 400 x 330
Clearances: 200 x 10 x 25
Overall Req: 910 x 410 x 355 (too tall by 26mm, too deep by 5mm)

Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28
Dimensions: 720 x 440 x 335
Clearances: 180 x 10 x ?
Overall Req: 900 x 450 x 335+ (too tall by 16mm)

Compare this with

Ideal Logic+ 30
Dimensions: 700 x 395 x 278
Clearances: 100 x 5 x 5
Overall Req: 800 x 400 x 283

That leaves us with excess space in the cupboard (84 x 64 x 67) which will allow for the pipework to be routed such that it exits neatly at the top and bottom of the cupboard - 64mm should be enough for DHW and Heating flow and return to be routed alongside the boiler for upstairs.

On the face of it it appears to be the "ideal" boiler for us (pardon the pun) and I would expect that a lot of their sales will be made on the size. I do have some misgivings seeing the general opinions expressed here but then look at car companies like FIAT and Citroen - they both went through a long period of making seriously crap cars but now they have greatly improved (I drive a Citroen myself now though I wouldn't have been caught dead in one 20 years ago!!!)

I'll let you know how we get on with it once it is in.

Remember it doesn't matter how ugly it is if you can shut it in a cupboard!!! (don't try this with your kids, wife etc.)

I bet you would find more negative opinions on here about Ideal as a company and previous history than positive

Ideal make Rover look like a company thats going places with innovative design and reliable products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back