Laws/rules regarding window locks on new windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had all new UPVC windows fitted and was suprised with the irregularity of the window locks.

Some windows have buttons, some window have locks, some have one window and one lock!

Apart from not looking uniform, I'm not sure I like that. I've been told the fire escape windows can't have locks on??? Whyever not? I'm a grown adult!

Any info appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've just had all new UPVC windows fitted and was suprised with the irregularity of the window locks.

Some windows have buttons, some window have locks, some have one window and one lock!

Apart from not looking uniform, I'm not sure I like that. I've been told the fire escape windows can't have locks on??? Whyever not? I'm a grown adult!

Any info appreciated.

i wouldn't worry about it.

with a multi-point lock that you will have fitted there is really no need for a key in my opinion. the locks are already very resistant to being levered open, or the catch slipped unlike windows with older single point locks.

if the burglar is determined enough to have smashed through 2 panes of glass to get to the window handle, well he's going to get in one way or another anyway. the keyhole can be easily turned with a screwdriver.

you will also notice the means of escape windows open more then the other ones.

You can have whatever handles you like in your own home.

It is correct that MoE windows should not be key operated (in case they are locked with no key ... and no escape) but it is not a "law" for domestic owned properties. If you were a landlord or such like, then other criteria will apply.

It interesting to note that most insurance policies may require "a lockable handle" to ground floor windows

I've only seen about four different keys for all the plastic windows though :rolleyes: So not exactly secure

Sponsored Links
You can have whatever handles you like in your own home.

It is correct that MoE windows should not be key operated (in case they are locked with no key ... and no escape) but it is not a "law" for domestic owned properties. If you were a landlord or such like, then other criteria will apply.

It interesting to note that most insurance policies may require "a lockable handle" to ground floor windows

I've only seen about four different keys for all the plastic windows though :rolleyes: So not exactly secure

yes i've got "lockable" handles downstairs fot this reason but i wouldn't lock them unless maybe if i was going on holiday.

it might be a building regs requirement for the keyhole to be absent for egress windows? which would invalidate some insurance policies?

have a look at the insurance co's leaflet

it probably says one key-operated lock on accessible windows less than 600mm, and two locks on larger ones, or a multi-point locking system

in case of fire it is much more usual to go out through a door. If you are in reach of the fire service they will cheerfully smash the window open to get you out if you have retreated to a safe room.

keys should be removed from doors and windows when they are locked, but you can put a hook on the window frame for them, where it is out of reach of transom windows, letterboxes or broken glass. I heard a terrible story recently of a rapist who reached in through the small transom window that was ajar for ventilation and undid the casement so he could climb in.

If you leave the key in place it is very easy for someone to reach in and undo the lock using a simple and easily-made tool

have a look at the insurance co's leaflet

it probably says one key-operated lock on accessible windows less than 600mm, and two locks on larger ones, or a multi-point locking system

in case of fire it is much more usual to go out through a door. If you are in reach of the fire service they will cheerfully smash the window open to get you out if you have retreated to a safe room.

keys should be removed from doors and windows when they are locked, but you can put a hook on the window frame for them, where it is out of reach of transom windows, letterboxes or broken glass. I heard a terrible story recently of a rapist who reached in through the small transom window that was ajar for ventilation and undid the casement so he could climb in.

If you leave the key in place it is very easy for someone to reach in and undo the lock using a simple and easily-made tool

you mean without breaking the glass? - what type of windows or tool are you referring to?

Very often people leave the small top window slightly ajar for ventilation, and close and fasten the casement but without locking it and removing the key. The assumption is the the older, or more portly, criminal will not easily get in through a small top window, unless he has a child accomplice or can stand on a bin, windowsill or something. A fit young criminal can probably climb up and wriggle through. I have seen it done :eek:

you can get at a lock or key through a letter-box, or through a small transom window that has been left open for ventilation. You can also turn the knob or pull the handle of a Yale or similar nightlatch.

Deadlocking and removing the key prevents this.

Often you can reach an arm in to do it.

There is a simple tool that a ne'erdowell (or I) can make in less than a minute using materials in the pocket, dustbin or even found in the garden of your home. It will easily reach a metre, and with more time, further.

You don't think I'm going to say how to do it, do you?

yes, but putting locks on the windows and removing the key will make it harder.

Your objective is to make your house more difficult to break into than the others down your street. Then the burglar will go for an easier target. If he is lazy enough he might even give up and go home.

Don't make it easy for them

p.s. the letterbox trick does not require an open window.

well firstly i would suggest fully closing windows when you leave the house.
use window locks if you don't have multipoint locks and lock the front door with a mortice lock. it's not very common to have an opening window adjacent to a front door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back