Towel rad - concealed pipework before plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a towel radiator on a new stud wall with concealed pipework behind.

I'll have to connect up the pipework to existing heating pipework before plasterboarding.

If I put the valves on beforehand I'll be left with large cut outs in the tiles, and the heavy vales hanging from the pipework not being supported by the rad.

How do most people get around this?

Sponsored Links
if your using chrome pipe dont use push fit stop ends as the will slip straight off

Sponsored Links
If I put end caps on wont I have to drain the system twice?

Once to connect up the pipework before plasterboard/tiling.
Again to connect up the valves/rad after tiling when fitting rad.

Yes. No big deal.
(to drain system twice)

I gues to you pro's its not ... its just a job I've not done before.

Maybe I'll leave connecting up to heating pipework till very last and leave system drained until after tiling ... gives me an incentive to finish the project before the winter -:)

Can't you incorporate a couple of isolators in the pipework under the floor? Even if you've got to put the floor down you could leave them close to the boards and have a couple of small holes above for access with a screwdriver, which you can plug later.

RigidRaider - Good idea ... but ...
Its a concrete floor in a basement - The existing pipework is to one end of a stud wall I've constructed.

If I do the tiling myself I can leave a small area of plasterboard off, and mount the raidator then connect up the pipework, then finsih off that area.

I did that in our bathroom, made sure it would be just behind one tile and stuck that one on with a bit of silicone. "Grouted" with white silicone too which isn't as neat, but it's below the radiator, so it's hard to tell. Never had to, but hoping this will be easy to remove to access the pipework if we have a problem.

HTH,
Bri.

when i meant service valves, i was refering to the tails then being replaced afterwards.bad idea having concealed service valves even having them on pipework alone on a heating circuit is a bad idea permanently.just ask my customer today who thought it would be a good idea to have one concealed for use as a main stop tap ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back