Tails between Cutout and Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At a job yesterday, the tails between the meter and the cutout are Fabric Coated Indian Rubber NICE!!!!!!

Phoned YEDL helpful as ever, 'Nothing to do with us'

So can any one tell me who they do belong to?

Could have sworn blind it was them :mad:

Sponsored Links
They belong to the cutout fairy - the one who always breaks seals before any electrician arrives. :LOL:

Yes that crossed my mind, however, it just is not our job to do!!!!

The seals had amazingly been stolen a few nights before ;)

Still want to know WHO owns them because it is about time they did some work, these are brittle and in need of attention

They belong to / are the responsibility of YEDL.

Sounds like the usual fobbing off from the NEDL call centre.

Bloody nightmare to get anything done with them lot.

I've had to sit and argue to get someone out to a failed earth on a PILC. She even offered me a PME for £60 before I finally got an engineer out.

He came and put his meter on, and said it's fine mate.

I asked him to disconnect the bonding and try again :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yep that's it Rob...

Back on to YEDL in the a.m. they offered PME as well at £65

Problem was it was already PME & TN-S!!!

Looked like DIY PME, just left it alone Ze was 0.04!!!

Tell supplier you got a shock off their cables, they should come running!

Well dawdling at least it worked for me when I wanted the 7/0.044 cotton & rubber tails replaced.

So, when I enquired with EDF about getting my cutout fuse upgraded to 100A (currently 60A) they told me I'd need to get my supplier (in my case BG) to upgrade the tails between cutout and meter if they weren't 25mm (which they aren't), and that their responsibility ends at the cutout. Given that you are all stating its YEDL's responsibility in this case - was EDF telling me porkies?

I also thought tails were the supplier's responsibility rather than the DNO's. EDF gave me the same line about my tails when I enquired about a main fuse upgrade. N-power came out and upgraded tails to 25mm, upgraded meter and fitted an isolator, all free of charge :).

Pretty sure it is the meter operator rather than DNO, when we put a new supply in we leave a cutout and that's it, the meter operator does the rest.

Having said that, I have a job at the moment replacing 3 submains in a building that are the DNOs, the meters are at the far end and the submains are in VIR with steel conduits plus a bit of wire as an earth :eek:

Having said that, I have a job at the moment replacing 3 submains in a building that are the DNOs, the meters are at the far end and the submains are in VIR with steel conduits plus a bit of wire as an earth :eek:

That's nice.

I used to live in a block of flats wired like that.

Only there wasn't the extra bit of wire :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back