Foundations for decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read pretty much all previous posts about decking and I'm more confused than when I started.

I need to build a raised deck; roughly 6 ft by 13ft (an extension off an extg deck). It will be 1ft from the ground to the top of the deck boards.

Are my assumptions correct;

- The depth of the supporting posts is dependant on the soil beneath but likely to be around 20 inches deep?

- I should have 10 holes, 2 rows of 5? (If this is borderline I don't mind digging more holes to make it 3 rows of 5, or maybe this is over the top).

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
doesnt need to be taht deep, just decent solid ground. posts roughly 1 m apart. do a bounce test if you need more put them in

first bit of decking we did was 3m x 4m, joists being 4m, we put a post every meter, we went a bit over the top with the post, 3ft posts hammered 2ft into the ground and conctreted in , safe to say the deck is solid,mind you we did use 6"x3" joists :D

you can see in the pic, the bit near the camera is and extra 1m bit we added, again posts 1m apart. posts are hardwood incase your wondering why they are a little thin.

DSC_3116.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back