Power tool tripping (MCB) in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage has its power circuits on a ring from a CU in the garage, protected by a 16A rcd*. I have one particular tool, a planer thicknesser which, when you start it, more often than not trips said rcd. Annoying.

The manual states it is an 1800W device at 240V.

When it doesn't trip the rcd*, it runs fine for extended periods.

1800/240 = 7.5A, by my schoolboy physics, so is there likely to be a tool fault rather then a "power circuit design" fault?

* Edited by moderator - see below - seems to be MCB tripping not RCD

Sponsored Links
I am assuming you meant to say MCB instead of RCB.

A motor, when starting up, takes a lot more current than when running. A possible solution is to use a type C MCB but this is not something to do without first measuring the circuit Zs and checking that it will be safe.

Sorry, I am a landscaper, not an elec, so got the terms wrong! The CU has two CB cartidges, one for the lighting and one for the ring main. The switch on the latter is tripping, not the switch on the CU itself. It still trips when nothing else is plugged in to the power circuit.

Sponsored Links
so it's the breaker tripping not the rcd?
BS3036 has answered your question, the inrush current at start up is tripping your breaker, when it's running, will work fine but at start up current is too high, Type C needed

Or a B32.

WabbitPoo - what size is the cable for the socket circuits, and is it just clipped to the walls?

That's by using a ruler to measure across the ends of each strand, by eye, so not entirely sure its bang on. So, each strand is approx 1.5mm in diameter. See, I told you I wasnt an electrician!

Don't know when installed and by whom.

What cable size is required for a ring, then? I could replace it all if necessary. Or rather, I could get it replaced.

That's by using a ruler to measure across the ends of each strand, by eye, so not entirely sure its bang on. So, each strand is approx 1.5mm in diameter.
Cable sizes are specified as the cross-sectional area of the main conductors:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:flatpvccables

What cable size is required for a ring, then?
2.5mm², which you may already have.

Is the cable surrounded by insulation? Do you know how thick?

That's by using a ruler to measure across the ends of each strand, by eye, so not entirely sure its bang on. So, each strand is approx 1.5mm in diameter.
Cable sizes are specified as the cross-sectional area of the main conductors:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:flatpvccables

What cable size is required for a ring, then?
2.5mm², which you may already have.

Is the cable surrounded by insulation? Do you know how thick?

Just removed boards from wall. the cables lie next to battens, and on the inside of foil-backed kingspan ie internal pb, cable, kingspan, outer ply.

Just compared the cable with some known 2.5mm cable and it looks to be the same physical size. Deffo a ring, too.

Just removed boards from wall. the cables lie next to battens, and on the inside of foil-backed kingspan ie internal pb, cable, kingspan, outer ply.
That will be Installation Method 102.

Just compared the cable with some known 2.5mm cable and it looks to be the same physical size.
Therefore the cable will have a capacity of 21A.

Deffo a ring, too.
And therefore should be OK for a 32A breaker, but reluctantly I must agree that BS3036 is right - the circuit supplying the garage needs to be established as OK - what sort of cable is it, what size, how long, and how is it supplied?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back