Should I tile around the toilet pan on sit the pan on tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

Do folks have a preference whether to mount a toilet pan on tiles or to install the pan to the floorboards (plus the WBP layer on top of the boards) and then tile around it?

I'm guessing there's a strong chance of cracking prelaid tiles if you mount the pan on it, not just from the weight but the need to drill through to secure the pan to the floor.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Tile floor first and fit toilet on top.

If you tile round it and ever have to change toilet you would have to retile the floor as well.

Rico

Tiles first.

If you put a small bead of silicon around the bottom edge and leave it for a few hours to set, it makes a nice cushion to sit on the tiles.

Definitely tile first, if the tiles are laid correctly the weight won't crack them, and providing you don't use a hammer drill function you'll have a job to crack them when drilling too

Sponsored Links
I'm going to resurrect this thread rather than start a new one because my question is very similar.

I'm laying tongue and groove solid bamboo flooring in my bathroom and want to know what the advantages are of putting the toilet in first vs putting the bamboo in first.

As far as I see it:
Toilet in first

• Easier to lift the floor if I ever need to get at pipe work etc underneath it.
    Easier to change the flooring at a later date
Floor in first

• Easier to fit the flooring as you don't have to cut it round the toilet.
    Probably a nicer finish.
    Easier to change the toilet at a later date.

Can anyone add pros/cons to the list?

wc last fit everytime for me.

and it's better if you don't hijack someone elses post.

and it's better if you don't hijack someone elses post.
Sorry netiquette is divided on that subject, will remember in future which side of the fence this forum falls. :) (my own fault for not checking in the rules first)

ok-wink.gif

We all love Seco but thats beside the point.

IF the new posting was an obvious follow on and the old posting was within the last year there there could be some argument for continuing it.

In this case there seems no similarity at all !

I cannot imagine what a "solid bamboo" tile is like. But bamboo is a type of wood and not obviously in any way waterproof like the usual ceramic tiles.

In this case I would expect the bamboo would be porous and definately NOT a suitable material to stand the toilet on.

If it was my home then I would have a plinth of similarly coloured ceramic tiles to go under the pan to ensure there is a solid foundation which will not flex.

Tony.

I've put that bamboo flooring down in my bathroom and it looks great. Also did my lounge but find it dents VERY easily.

It is coated Tony.

Floor first everytime- you will never get a nice finish if you put the pan in first.

Ted

I cannot imagine what a "solid bamboo" time is like. But bamboo is a type of wood and not obviously in any way waterproof like the usual ceramic tiles.
Basically you're correct, it is laid like a hardwood floor but bamboo has slightly different properties, especially if you get the woven sort which is set in resin. Interestingly enough bamboo is actually a grass and suffers less from water ingress problems. I've been soaking a tester piece for a couple of weeks to see what happens - yes it's a bit soggy round the edges but it doesn't appear to have changed shape or size significantly. :)
In this case I would expect the bamboo would be porous and definately NOT a suitable material to stand the toilet on.
Is porosity the main factor which determines whether a flooring type is suitable for laying under a toilet?
If it was my home then I would have a plinth of similarly coloured ceramic tiles to go under the pan to ensure there is a solid foundation which will not flex.
Interesting, I didn't realise that was the case, currently the old one's just on the pine tongue and groove floorboards with the carpet (eugh) cut to fit. (I'm in a first floor maisonette so none of my floors are solid).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back