New Toilet - Water around bottom of pan, condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After some advice. I have recently refurbished by bathroom which included fitting a new tiled floor and amonst other things a new loo.

The toilet went on fine, however I seem to have an issue with water around the base of the pan where it sits on the tiles. From what I can see there is water coming from the bottom of the pan (looks like condensation forming on the underside of the pan and then dripping down the inside of the pan until it hits the tiles.

Is this a normal thing? could it be a leak from the pan itself? I'm positive there are no leaks from any of the connections on the pan. Its bone dry around the back where the connections are.

At the moment I have removed the screws securing it to the floor so am able to slightly lift and put some paper towel under the pan, the water is definetly only around the rim of the pan where is touches the tiles.

Only two things I can think of are

1) Condensation forming on underside of pan due to the cold water within the pan itself (the toilet is fed directly from mains I have no water tank in my house)

2) I have a very very small leak in the pan, though if it was this I would expect to see one area of water not water forming all around the pan where it hits the tiles? Also I have attempted dye'ing the pan water overnight and the residue was not coloured at all (I used herbal tea as only thing I had .... )

Any views? at the moment I'm thinking condensation and thinking maybe to put some mastic between the tiles and the pan to try and prevent it (if I do this I also wont be able to see if it works, so could just end up with a build up of water!)

Any help appreciated, have searched but no'one seems to have this problem!

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
I think it is probably a leak. I would suspect the rubber doughnut between cistern and pan. Might be the connection to the float valve, especially if it is on the bottom of the cistern, or it might possibly be a leaking overflow if the water level is set too high or the val;ve is dripping.

if you think it is condensation (which normally forms, visibly, on the cistern, not the pan)

1) turn on the bathroom extractor, and leave it on, to reduce humidity from steam and wet towls

2) fill the cistern with hot water, using a jug and the tap. As it is hotter than the air, no condensation will form on it. Resist the temptation to flush the loo and fill the cistern with cold water

3) you can put a few jugfuls of hot water down the loo as well if you want. Also if you need to flush it during the night fill a bucket from the hot bath tap instead of flushing the cistern.

If you start it off hot, and don't refill it with cold, the water in the cistern will never get colder than the air temp in the room, therefore will not attract condensation.

I suspect there is a fracture in the cast, possably the trap.

What make of toilet and where did you get from.

This has happend to me.

Where did you put the teabag - in the cistern or in the pan? If in the pan then try in the cistern instead as it could be a small leak at the joint between the pan and the cistern as JohnD suggests.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply's

I'm pretty sure there is no leak from the cistern through the donut. The toilet is this one:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/ceramica-milan-short-1630-21233

The cistern sits on top of the pan hence and water leaking from the donut I would see quite easily. Also I've had just the pan on its own in the middle of the room filed up with water and there was still water ......

I've given up on the condensation idea, the bathroom has been left 24 hours without showers / humidity and there is still water. I think it must be some crack in the pan causing it.

Will disconnect everything tonight, grab some food dye and retest tonight, think the I need a new pan though ....

shame it was all going so well :(

if there is condensation higher up that is dribbling down, wouldn't u be able to see it higher up?

not if its in the inside of the pan, not the outside .....

condensation inside the pan will not get to the floor.

have you tried the hot water test yet?

You have a leak from

1. The float valve, (connecting to the cistern)
2. The feed to the float valve
3. Leaking between the cistern and toilet
4. Pan connector.

Place some red food dye in the cistern and green in the pan and leave over night. See what colour the floor is in the morning.

(food dye from corner shop 50p per bottle)

Andy

You have a leak from

1. The float valve, (connecting to the cistern)
2. The feed to the float valve
3. Leaking between the cistern and toilet
4. Pan connector.

Place some red food dye in the cistern and green in the pan and leave over night. See what colour the floor is in the morning.

(food dye from corner shop 50p per bottle)

Andy

I Like that idea

RED+GREEN = BROWN :mrgreen: It`ll be the outlet anyway - slightly undersized/out of true round . Fix with a tube of LS - X ;)

Ignoring the ignorant vulgarity of your post, where exactly did I suggest otherwise ? ? :rolleyes: - My point was that it would be very confusing if the leak was in a colour unrelated to the colours put in either the cistern or the pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back