roofing issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How do i got about lifting the first set of tiles on this roof?

As you can see some of them look displaced and i have some water coming through where the roof meets the wall. I think the felt has been soaked with water and this then drips onto the wall, roof trusses.

Thanks

100_9696.jpg

Sponsored Links
As far as detail and perspective are concerned that is the worst photo i have ever seen.

Sponsored Links
The pitch does look as if it is too shallow which means that the roof will not be keeping the rain out.

It also looks like the gauge of the tiles may have been 'stretched' and the tiles have been laid 'straight bonded', both of these factors will increase the likelihood of roof leaks.

BTW although you have got these defects the tiles don't look like they are 'displaced'

thanks for the replies. the roof is a diy bodge by previous owner.
is it safe to walk on it? the joists are ok and so are the battons.
I need to replace a couple of broken tiles on it.the diy books ive read say that i need to lift the course above and wedge it with some wood.
any technique advice would be appreciated

The roof should be safe to walk on, try to keep most of you weight on the bottom 3 inches of the tiles.

To replace a tile slide the tile above it upwards and then pull down after

thanks

these are marley tiles but im not sure what type. Do you have an idea and also can they be found in b&q or wickes?

They are Marley Moderns colour Old English

You won't get them in Wickes etc. Try large Builders Merchants or your best bet is a Roofing Merchant (or roofing company). Asphaltic is a national supplier.

angle of photo makes it hard to judge, but it looks as though the pitch is far too shallow for those tiles.

I recenlty had to strip a friends entire roof off because a roofer had put concrete interlocking tiles on at about 11 degrees. We tried as couple of quick fixes to cure leaks he had, but in the end the only solution was to strip it and stick a flat roof on.

I`d check the pitch 1st and go from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back