Advice on shed/workshop plans :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I am thinking about building some kind of building in my back garden to store my weights/bench and/or my drumkit. I plan on building at the back of my garden at approx 12ft x 8ft. I have briefly researched and the building would be more than 5M away from my property, wouldnt use more than 50% of my garden and wouldnt be more than 3M high. Would I need planning permission to build the sructure in brick?? I was planning more like a wooden shed but due to the nature of whats inside I would prefer something more secure. Also is there anything else I may have to consider i.e windows, roofs and maybe power supplies??? Thanks alot in advance :):)

SLIM :D

Sponsored Links
Hi big-all and thanks for the reply - your shed is awesome and well built too :). Raising the weights above my head isnt that important as i could do all those exercises in a seated position. However, If i change my mind I may raise the height by adding an apex roof or making the roof flat and keeping it 3M (apex would be easier and stronger I suppose). Anyone know if my shed would still be acceptable with an apex roof?? My main question is still whether I would require planning permission to use bricks for the build.Thanks again :)

SLIM

Bricks or rice paper wont make a difference to planning permission

Sponsored Links
Would you be planning on playing drums in there too?

yeah would there be an issue???

erm yeh, the racket they make! You might want to look carefully at the design to minimise sound leakage. Holla back if you need any pointers, but concrete block or 9" brick walls are a good start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back