Under the units or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had a contractor estimate for tiling our kitchen floor, and he has suggested that we put the new kitchen in first and then after fitting he will lay the new floor. He said that he will tile under the units (but not to the walls) and once the plinth is in place you won't kow the difference!

Clearly this will be quicker and uses less tiles but in overall terms is a bit of a bodge. To my mind this seems the wrong approach. I would lay the floor and then put the kitchen units on the new floor.

Any views gratefully received
thanks

Mark.

Sponsored Links
unless you are going to keep the tiles after you rip out the kitchen next time, then no its not a bodge. Its pretty standard. If he tiles under the units you are paying for tiles you will never see or use because of the kickboards. It just means your fitter needs to know the height of the tiles to adjust the height of the units when he fits them.
Put it another way, would you tile under your bath???

Opportunity12
I have had a contractor estimate for tiling our kitchen floor, and he has suggested that we put the new kitchen in first and then after fitting he will lay the new floor. He said that he will tile under the units (but not to the walls) and once the plinth is in place you won't kow the difference!

Clearly this will be quicker and uses less tiles but in overall terms is a bit of a bodge. To my mind this seems the wrong approach. I would lay the floor and then put the kitchen units on the new floor.
How will he tile under the units..Do you mean he will tile round the legs of the cabinets?.
Tiling the whole area is easier but more costly.
If you do not put tiles under the cabinet legs, you could have problems with appliances ie the height from top of say dishwasher, could be to tight to underside of worktop.

I tiled under a fitted kitchen a few years ago, I used a car jack to raise the cabinets to enable tiles to be fitted under cabinet legs.

I have just tiled my kitchen floor completely then fitted appliances.

I think you can do either - i did the floor (laminate) after the units were down - we were originally going to tile and still would have done it after as well - it's not a bodge.

The units we had from B&Q had adjustable legs and the fitter allowed 10mm extra for the floor height. When I came to lay the laminate, just each leg to slide the laminate under (the worktop wasn't on at this time so it was easy - if it was - probably would have cut the laminate to the correct size)
Tiles will be easier because you dont have to lock them into place at some crazy angle with the previous one.

Sponsored Links
Thermo

Posted:

Put it another way, would you tile under your bath???
Not tiling under the bath, is an advantage as it lowers the bath in relation to the floor, ie easier to get it.

I think kitchen is different, unless expensive tiles are being used I would always tile under cabinets.

Diyisfun said:
I think kitchen is different, unless expensive tiles are being used I would always tile under cabinets.
If they are expensive then use plywood to the same thickness of the tiles.

you shouldnt have problems with the appliances, as long as you know the thickness of the floor tiles, the datum height for the work top is just raised by the thickness wwhne fitting them. they can then be removed for the tiler and the area underneath them then tiled. After that they can be replaced and adjusted to the correct height.

It really is a case of you pay your money and take your choice. Personally i dont see the point of paying for it and he certainly isnt offering a bodge, if anything it will take him longer as he has to plan out where not to tile as opposed to tiling the whole floor in one run.

Thermo

as to lowering the bath, well yes it does, but the thickness of the floor tile and adhesive bed would not make a great difference to the ease of getting in and out

Thermo

Posted:
as to lowering the bath, well yes it does, but the thickness of the floor tile and adhesive bed would not make a great difference to the ease of getting in and out

Disagree an 1" makes a difference ask any woman..opps :rolleyes:

Hi just an update.

In the end I used another tiler and he tiled the complete room and then I placed the units on top. In my opinion this was the correct choice and looks superb.

Thanks to anyone who expressed a view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back