installer lockout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've fell out with my alarm company, long story but bottom line the boss of the firm supplied me with the key to the control box but says with a smirk ''open it and it will lock you out'' and no you can't have the code.

Is this Normal..??

The code I have will let me set the date etc but i suppose this is not the master code??

I don't need to get into the box yet, just looking to when the battery might need replacing..
any advice welcome.. John.

Sponsored Links
What brand of panel is it , some can be unlocked , some cannot.
If your system is monitored , then they have some justification to ensure the programming is not altered by the enduser.You may have some small print to this effect.They should offer to change the code for a callout fee.

What brand of panel is it , some can be unlocked , some cannot.
If your system is monitored , then they have some justification to ensure the programming is not altered by the enduser.You may have some small print to this effect.They should offer to change the code for a callout fee.

The panel is a DSC. I have only the user manual (no fitting instructions)
Manual:
DSC
CLASSIC
PC1565.
LCD5500Z KEYPAD
Software version 2.5U.

We don't have it monitored. Though the installer wired the fone to it in case we did want to have monitored.

He has stated he will change the box back to default for 49.50 + vat
He has also offered to give a free service and fit new batterty. (After I confronted the perputrator of the faling out. His son).
Tbh. with the conversation we had I don't want this person on my property again. And would probably rip out the unit rather than have a cuckoo type arrangement where even other alarm companies are locked out.

I suppose somewhere in small print there is reference saying only they are alowed in my box :evil: but i can't find it..

Thanks .. John

Sponsored Links
I suppose somewhere in small print there is reference saying only they are alowed in my box :evil: but i can't find it..

its a regulatory requirent that only the engineer has access to engineering and our efficacy insurance insists on it.

I would take him up on the offer, but first tell us what the son did.

I would take him up on the offer, but first tell us what the son did.

I did a walk test the night before they / he serviced alarm. all ok
The wife phoned me at work to say the alarm bloke reports the external bell not working and needs replacing quote £199.00. plus fitting @£49.99 I said nope..
took 6 weeks for them to finally return after I challenged his finding.. The fault was ... A connector in the bell box had fallen off ;) :rolleyes: . He was embarrassed as fk as he he tried to push it on quckly while I watched,but it was a bloody tight fit... duhhhh. He was gone before I had the chance to ask for key etc.
its a regulatory requirent that only the engineer has access to engineering and our efficacy insurance insists on it.

Sounds like a nice little earner.. I wont fall for that again.

Sounds like a nice little earner.. I wont fall for that again.

nice little earner? - if I didnt have to have efficacy insurance (no names, no pack drill yaleboy) I could have an extra holiday every year.

the choice is yours but if you want an approved, regulated and fully compliant with regs installation (no names, no pack drill yaleboy) then thats the requirment - we don`t make the rules up.

the choice is yours but if you want an approved, regulated and fully compliant with regs installation (no names, no pack drill yaleboy) then thats the requirment - we don`t make the rules up.

That sounds wunderfull. As long your not a crook. ;)
ope a cap has'nt fitted there :LOL:

Do I really have to keep looking through other threads to find where you are slating me.

Your rules are quite correct and I understand why they should be that way. However because the user can change settings on the yale alarms I don't need efficacy insurance and am covered with £2,000,000 public liability instead.

So don't drag me into an argument I don't even have to be involved in in the first place.
My warranty covers parts and labour and any liability for damage while installing.
I don't have efficiacy insurance because I don't do commercial and the users can screw their own systems up , therefore I can never be liable if an alarm fails.
That liability would be passed onto Yale.
No alarm companies terms and conditions verify the alarm will always work as intended and all companies have a disclaimer to that effect.

Do you have terms that say you aren't liable for any loss or damage due to alarms not warking as intended or being defeated... of course you do.

So rather than discredit this NSI companies fraudulent practices you decide instead to deflect criticism to me in a totally unrelated and irrelevant subject

What an absolute tosser you are

I would suggest you seek legal advice about not been liable.

please dont let your bad experiance with one firm color us all the same.

Reading some of the posts in this section by some of you confirms my fears about the alarm industry.

I'll wait for battery to fail, tinker with the alarm fitting instructions I've googled and if no good i'll rip it all out and fit a yale ;)

Shame this used to be an interesting section...

You haven't said if this company is accredited.
If so, have you taken up the issue with the relevant Inspectorate?

Having just got dragged into the annual Insurance renewal game - now there is an industry that makes Dick Turpin look a good guy - i would be very wary of claiming you don't need efficay insurance.
Yes, the manufacturer will be liable for anything that goes wrong on their side - whether you can prove it AND get them to pay up is a different matter. Even then, they are usually only liable for their equipment, not subsequent losses.

However, when it comes to advising/recommending/assessing what the customer needs, there is NO difference between domestic and commercial installs when it comes to efficacy. When it comes to the installed system, irrespective of which products are used, if it is not designed and installed correctly and the system and/or advice is found to be wrong, you will be liable.
PL is cheap.
Efficacy is the serious cost

There are major differences between 'tradesman insurance' and the policies required for 'security installers'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back