Prima F Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, im new to this forum so sorry if i have posted it in the wrong place.I have a Potterton Prima F boiler which has started making loud clicking (solenoid-type noises).When it switches on normally you get the 'click' then the burner ignites.Sometimes it clicks a number of times.I dont think its the pilot light as I think this is alight.WHAT i have noticed is that if you gently 'tap' the pcb it works again fine for a while.Also when it does this continuous clicking I can see a very small spark (in time with the click) on the underside of the board.I have heard that dry joints are common on these which is what I suspected before I found this out.Is it worth trying to reflow the solder at the sparking joint?(with power off obviously) and also is it straight forward to fit a new pcb (I have some electrical experience)...I was wondering if a new pcb was fitted there may be some other setting that needed to be done which I would be unable to do...........can anyone advise.
Cheers
A

Sponsored Links
Fitting pcb's varies from simple plug 'n play, to direct alteration of critical values in the combustion process, I can't remember the specifics of this model.
How good is: "some electrical experience"? 12V, 230V? What kind on multimeter do you have?

Sponsored Links
have a fluke multimeter (good one) and have worked with both voltages........
If I can judge your skills by your tools, you'd be good enough to give it a go.
Competence is not only about knowing what to do, it is just as much about knowing what not to do.
IF you decide to try your luck, turn the power off at the spur, and take the fuse out as a back up.

Ok fair point...it IS alight.When the boiler switches on you hear the 'tick' noise and the pilot ignites then you get the louder 'solenoid type click' which is usually followed by the burners igniting.Its this solenoid that seems to be actuating on and off.As I said before I suspect a dry joint on the board as gently tapping the board seems to cure it for a time and the burners light with no problem and also as a side point the flames are nice and blue ....(Did it 2 days ago and has been fine since).......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back