Lean to, cavity tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My extension will have a lean to roof to the house exterior wall. The house wall is block, rendered and painted.

Do I need to retro-fit a cavity tray into the house wall above the lean to?

Much appreciated,

Tony

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't. I personally think that they (retro-fit trays) are not worth the disruption to the property.

That was what I thought. But, I'm looking for a really persuasive argument if the Building Regs guy mentions it.

Sponsored Links
I can not speak for coastal (windy) areas, but here in the Mid's retrospectively fitting trays is not enforced.......

......but, the project i have lined up in the Spring is asking for one! The architect and myself are going to "liaise" with the inspector with this one and openly discourage it.

But, I'm looking for a really persuasive argument if the Building Regs guy mentions it.

As Nose says, you would hope common sense will prevail. However, if, you need to use an argument not to retro fit a tray. You could try quoting;

BS5268-3:2005 Code of practice for the use of masonry
5.5.7.4 Weepholes
Weepholes need not be provided if walls have a rendered external surface finish.

Just let the BCO think it was his idea if it comes to a standoff..... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back