Mitsibushi Pajero 2.8 turbo diesel head gasket help

Reb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to have the headgasket on my Paj replaced, thing is, I'd like to do it myself. Everyone I mention it to though seems to be terrified of changing headgaskets on anything. I'd like to know if it's something that is fairly straight forward to do.
I have experience of repairing cars and working on engines but, have never replaced a head gasket as yet.
Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get the Haynes Manual and read up on it first, it will give you an indication of what you need and how to do it. You can then decide if you are feeling confident enough to give it a try.

;)

There's no difference in principle to changing a diesel head gasket to a petrol one apart from the physical weight...however there may be different thicknesses of gasket available so its best to check if this is the case. Also buy new head bolts and slacken off the glowplugs and injectors with the head in situ if you intend to remove them. If your head is aluminium and it has been fried due to coolant loss it will need skimming to make it flat again. Take the opportunity to check / set the valve clearances at the same time if its the shimmed type. Cheers John :)

Sponsored Links
Being rear wheel drive makes it a whole lot easier, front wheel drive heads are a pig to get off.

Back