mitsubishi delica 2.8 diesel pump help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I need some help if anyone can point me in the right direction.

1995 mitsubishi delica 2.8 turbo intercooler , I took the fuel pump out as it was drawing in air from the front seal , I no this was the case as it would start no problem in the morning but after driving for about 3 to 4 miles it would cut out then it was a case of turning it over and pumping the accelerator for about 1 to 2 mins till the diesel got to the pump again then it would run perfect all day .

I got fed up of this every morning so i decided to change the seal on the front of the pump but after refitting again the engine turns over and wont start ( timing is all setup the way it should be ) I can use the lifter pump to draw fuel from the tank till its coming out of the line going into the pump but it seems that there is no fuel coming out of the pipes connected to the injectors when the engine is turning over .

Any help on this would be great as its now starting to do my head in . :cry:

John

Sponsored Links
how much did you strip the pump down to change the seal?

Hi , I just took the cog wheel off and replaced the seal behind it .

Here's a pic of the parts i replaced ( marked in red )
fuelpumpseals.jpg

theirs a fuel stop solonid on the pump , might of packed up . ... friend of mine had the same prob as your having on a 2.5 paj . cutting out would,nt start . turned out it was his fuel pipe . ive got a 2.8 paj i dont know what the delica is like ,but on the fuel pick up pipe in the tank on a paj theirs a bit if a metal filter , you get to it from a plate on the top of the
fuel tank . if i were you i,d check that then work you way forward checking the fuel pipe for rust or damage all the way to the fuel filter . make sure theirs no air is getting in to the filter , another way to try it would be to put some fuel in a container direct to the fuel pump and try to start it .
if you have no luck try these guys . pagerouk.co.uk

Sponsored Links
doesnt sound like an air in the system problem to me as starting would have been difficult from cold as well.
have you bled at the injectors while cranking the engine after pump refit?

doesnt sound like an air in the system problem to me as starting would have been difficult from cold as well.
have you bled at the injectors while cranking the engine after pump refit?

Heres what i've tryed so far , pumped the lifter till the diesel filled the filter , disconnected the hose that goes into the diesel pump from the filter and pumped the lifter a bit more till it was flowing out the hose , then connected it back up , got a mate to turn engine over while i slackened off the metal lines going into the injectors but at most there is only a trickle of diesel dripping out of them with the lines fully disconnected from the injectors .

check you have the feed and return pipes round the right way, and if they are a bolt through fitting, check you haven't mixed the 2 bolts up as some pumps although the bolts look the same, they have a different sized hole in them for flow and return

you know im proberly going to get shot down for this , but what i would be tempted to do is bleed the system up to the bango bolt on the pump then start it on easy start , giving it just enough to make it run . :evil:

you know im proberly going to get shot down for this , but what i would be tempted to do is bleed the system up to the bango bolt on the pump then start it on easy start , giving it just enough to make it run . :evil:

That would be my next trick too :LOL:

johnnie are you sure your not 180 degree out on the timeing . make sure you,ve got TDC by taking No 1 glow plug out and feeling for the piston with a bit of stiff wire . as the bottom pulley can delaminate and give a wrong setting if its slipped round . did you turn the notch on the pump to T before refitting it ? .

The hoses into the pump are rubber hoses that slip over metal pipes ,They are both different sizes so you cant get them round the wrong way .

I have a pajero with the same engine but a slight difference in the diesel pumps , I changed the cylinder head gasket on that and when i went for the restart it fired up no problem , So all the timing is setup correctly as per cd manual , I'll try get a video of it .

The hoses into the pump are rubber hoses that slip over metal pipes ,They are both different sizes so you cant get them round the wrong way .

I have a pajero with the same engine but a slight difference in the diesel pumps , I changed the cylinder head gasket on that and when i went for the restart it fired up no problem , So all the timing is setup correctly as per cd manual , I'll try get a video of it .

Gas the mother to get it running ! that way you,ll have a better idea of whats happening . ie either fuel or timing .

Is there a bleeder on the pump itself?
Get it out of there with no air, then try injectors.

Gas the mother to get it running ! that way you,ll have a better idea of whats happening . ie either fuel or timing .

What do you mean by gas

Sponsored Links
Back