1996 mitsubishi delica 2.8 turbo intercooler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks i need some help with this .

First thing in the morning turn ignition on and wait for the glow plug relay to click and then turn key and it starts no problem , BUT it runs sort of like its missing for about 30 seconds , After its running ok and i start driving to work say about 2 - 3 miles it feels like its lost power and then theres greyish smoke from back ( not a lot ) and then the engine cuts out , It takes a good few pumps on the accelerator and then it starts again with a big puff of black smoke and it will run perfect for the next 9 miles to work , Sometimes it happens at night as well after work , But as soon as it does this it will run perfect after the restart .

Any help is good on this matter .

John

DSC00222.jpg

Sponsored Links
It does seem to be a fuel related problem and, initially, it seems that there is some loss of fuel capacity. My first check would be the fuel line, to the pump. I am not familiar with your particular vehicle but, is there a hand priming pump above, or adjacent to the fuel filter? The diaphragm, on these pumps, sometimes get perforated and allows the fuel to drain back, only slightly and, especially when standing overnight. Also, the priming pump will have non return valves in it's ports and these can be troublesome if there is the smallest piece of debris on one of the reed type valves. I would first try by-passing this pump, ie, connecting the suction feed from the tank, to the outlet feed from the priming pump and see if the fuel line will maintain it's capacity overnight. You will have to prime the fuel line, to the injection pump but, once this line is full, the fuel pump itself will hold the suction required to keep the fuel line full.

Sponsored Links
It does seem to be a fuel related problem and, initially, it seems that there is some loss of fuel capacity. My first check would be the fuel line, to the pump. I am not familiar with your particular vehicle but, is there a hand priming pump above, or adjacent to the fuel filter? The diaphragm, on these pumps, sometimes get perforated and allows the fuel to drain back, only slightly and, especially when standing overnight. Also, the priming pump will have non return valves in it's ports and these can be troublesome if there is the smallest piece of debris on one of the reed type valves. I would first try by-passing this pump, ie, connecting the suction feed from the tank, to the outlet feed from the priming pump and see if the fuel line will maintain it's capacity overnight. You will have to prime the fuel line, to the injection pump but, once this line is full, the fuel pump itself will hold the suction required to keep the fuel line full.

Hi

Yes there is a hand priming pump on top of the fuel filter , when pumping it it only seems to move down about a 1/4 inch ( is that normal ) .

Ok you want me to take the inlet pipe off and connect it to the outlet of the pump ? , then in the morning change it back over and prime the pipe to the injector pump ? , and see what happens .

John

Yes, that is normal but, if the priming pump/valves are OK, you should feel resistance, ie, the pump will go "hard", indicating that the fuel supply line is full. If this happens then it is likely that the problem you are having is not with the priming pump.
"Ok you want me to take the inlet pipe off and connect it to the outlet of the pump"
Yes and, in this way, the priming pump will be bypassed, but, before you connect the two pipes together, you will have to "prime" the pipe, which takes the fuel to the main injection pump,(pour fuel into the pipe until it overflows, then quickly join the two pipes together) otherwise the engine will not start due to the injection pump drawing air instead of fuel. Once the engine has started, and is running normally, leave it overnight to see if the fuel line has maintained it's capacity and that the fuel has not run back to the tank. I should think that there is a non return valve in the tank suction pipe anyway. You can leave the priming pump/filter bypassed until you are quite certain that the problem does lie with the hand priming pump.

Back