Hardwall vs Browning?

OL4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My local friendly DIY strores have either run out of or don't stock Browning Plaster, as I need to get 22 bags for Monday morning (on top of the 44 supplied already) my Plasterer has informed me to get Hardwall Plaster instead as he says it will do the same job.

What are the differences?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Browning is suitable for use on surfaces such as common bricks and building blocks, or other surfaces which are absorbent. and should be applied in layers of about 10mm in thickness.

Hardwall is An undercoat plaster with high impact resistance and quicker drying surface. Suitable for application to most masonry backgrounds.

whats wrong with using bonding?

Thanks for your reply Alastair,

Bonding? I don't know, my Plasterer has told me to get the Hardwall stuff so thats why I wanted to know the difference.

Cheers,

Stuart (also a Reid)

Sponsored Links
Hardwall far better than browning or bonding. More body and a bit tackier than browning, less tacky and much nicer to skim than bonding.

have to say i've never really understood why browning is available, it does such a small range of backgrounds, whereas hardwall will do the same and many more, really don't get it and don't use it any more.

if you look at the thistle plaster selector guide on their site, browning only does common brick and medium density blocks, hardwall does pretty much all blocks and bricks except for low suction, i.e. engineering brick and smooth dens blocks, this is where bonding picks up and does everything else.

so for me it's either bonding or hardwall but prefer hardwall, background will dictate but guess your background will need hardwall if you've already got browning in

Thanks for the replies fella's,

it seems Hardwall is the better choice for my Walls because they aren't great.

Cheers

Stuart

Hardwall has tended to over take Browning now but it's a tad expensive; render base is much cheaper if you’ve a lot to do. Bonding is intended for use on low suction backgrounds so is not the best choice for highly absorbent block work; its also very soft. I sometimes use it for remedial work on old, crumbly walls in a bit of a mess but PVA & lots of water needed though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back