External lighting cable query and general query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I want to add two security lights round the back of my house.

I had an electrician over (used this guy on previous job) but he's not free for a bit and not that willing to come over to do this small job, so thought I may do it myself. I initially went to an electrician because I wasn't sure if it was Part P and erred on the side of caution (now realised it doesn't require any Part P certification as can be run off existing circuit).

Anyhow, he decided due to the circuit configs in the house, that the best thing to do is the run of a spur from a socket in the rear dining room. Then to a new single box which has a fuse switch (5A). From the back of this I can run a cable directly through the wall to the outside and then take the cable and connect them.

So first question as I'm here - does that all sound sensible?

Second and main question - is he talked about either using conduit or some pirelli/firetrap wire for the outside and tack that to the walls direct. I'm not sure exactly what this is and can't seem to find it on screwfix etc - can someone direct me to the right stuff to use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
SWA itself may appear cheaper but then you are going to have to add the special SWA glands (a pair for each length of SWA so that is two pairs) then you'll have to work out how to keep the earth of the armour continuous.
That will probably mean weatherproof termination boxes next to each light just to terminate the SWA.

Hi-Tuf is sooooooooooooo much easier...

Ok, now I've rexamined the circuit I've got a few more questions.

I have a socket in my breakfast room. It is not in a circuit at all and just connects to the fuse board direct with through a single cable.

Can I spur a RCD off this as it is in a much more sensible location for a switch and would have the benefit of using less wire.

Also will this RCD do http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83049/Electrical-Supplies/RCDs/Volex-13A-RCD-FCU. I'd swap the fuse for a 5A one. Alternatively is there one with an on/off switch?

That single cable from the socket that goes to the consumer unit.

Does it go to its own contact breaker in the fuseboard?
What is the rating of the breaker.>

If it is on its own breaker then you MIGHT be able to use it.
If it shares a breaker with other wires then probably not.

Re the RCD. Those green & blue buttons will provide an on/off function.

a 32a MCB covering a radial with one socket on the end sounds a bit excessive....

Is the cabling actually capable of carrying 32A?

Well my kitchen used to be wired up very strange - one side which included the wsahing machine was wired via this socket from the breakfast room (which was on one circuit loop) and another side took power from the rear reception room (which is on its standard downstairs plug sockets circuit loop).

The electrician had a fit when he saw it and put the whole kitchen an individual circuit on a new mini wylex board which has a RCD.

That left this single socket connected directly to the fuse board (which is wylex new style but no RCD).

I'll check on the wire tomorrow but its the same cable that's used in all my wiring around the house. Is there a minimum mm it should be.

As taylor says, if its "normal" 2.5mm cable then it should be on a 20A breaker.

Other than the incorrect breaker, your plan sounds alright to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back