Problem Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a radiator which refuses to heat up. I've removed it and flushed it through, it seemed to be fine, and have replaced the TRV and the lockshield valve. I have also flushed the whole system through with Fernox Heavy Duty Restorer but there just doesn't seem to be any flow through the radiator. The pipe up to the inlet valve is hot but the radiator and outlet pipe remain resolutely cold . All the other radiators in the house are fine.

I've run out of ideas of what to try next - does anyone have any ideas

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the system piped out in grey poly pipe, if it is check that there is no crudd in the pipes at the inlet/outlet ends below the valves.

It's not plastic piping it's copper piping. Having taken the radiator off and opened the valves what I've found is that that water shoots out of the lockshield valve end at a very fast rate, as though under pressure, but barely trickles out of the TRV end - even when the pump is running. So I guess the problem lies somewhere in the inlet pipe. The question now is how to clear it?

Sponsored Links
I took the trv off the inlet pipe and had a bit of a poke around inside it with a wire coat-hanger and a bit of old net-curtain wire. When I let the water flow through again a fair amount of gunk came out. Mainly nasty black metallic particles.

I repeated the process two or three times to get as much as possible out then put everything back together. Now the radiator is belting out heat. Mind you, it's the only one in the house that's switched on so it remains to be seen what happens when I turn the rest back on, but so far so good. Maybe I should now run some more restorer through the system, now that I seem to at least have a flow through that part of the piping, maybe that would complete the cleaning up job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back