Installing new shower cubical

Sponsored Links
my questions are what size
cables should I install?
Assuming this shower is in your bathroom, this work is notifiable to LABC. It will probably be cheaper to get a spark to do it than DIY and paying the council fee.

The circuit will require 30mA RCD protection. This may already be provided by your CU.

The data table on P22 states it has a 3kW load so it should be installed on its own circuit. You say nothing about the distance from the CU or what materials the cable is being routed through (thermal insulation, other derating factors etc). If there are no derating factors/volt drop issues then a 16A radial on 2.5mm² t+e should suffice.

See here for more info on diy electrical work. Make sure that any electrician you use is a member of a self certification scheme.

look what it says on page 2:--

"We also VERY STRONGLY recommend that all electrical and plumbing work be carried out by a fully qualified
professional or professionals. In some cases this is a legal requirement please checks laws governing bathroom
electrical installation. Before employing a plumber MAKE CERTAIN he is conversant with steam showers first! Many
are great plumbers but like all of us have some failings, in this case it may be DIY skills. Please let your plumber fully
read these instructions prior to him taking on the installation."

And then look what it says on page 3:--

WARNING!
ALL SHOWERS WITH ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS MUST BE INSTALLED BY A COMPETENT PERSON. ELECTRIC
AND WATER ARE VERY DANGEROUS TOGETHER. IN MANY CASES YOU WILL NEED A "PART P" CERTIFICATE.
ALWAYS USE A REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN TO COMPLETE ALL CONNECTIONS FROM BATH TO HOUSE. NEVER
ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF.
Further reading please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring_in_the_United_Kingdom#Bathrooms.
IMPROPER GROUNDING CAN RESULT IN SERIOUS ELECTRIC SHOCK, INJURIES OR DEATH.

I particularly like the bit about 'death' :eek:

Maybe you should consider asking your Electrician what cable sizes he intends to install? :)

reading on a bit,

Look what it says on page 15:--

What if anything electrical goes wrong?
The electrical system of these steam showers is simple, just three key parts, Steam Generator, transformer box and supply and the control panel inside the shower. Supply your copy of
the electrical installation invoice you were given when electrics were installed (cannot help you without this so keep t safe!) tell us what part you need on the claim form and it will be
sent by post to you.

Sounds a bit like, if you don't have proof (via an invoice from sparky) of correct installation, then you may have problems with a subsequent warranty claim.

Sponsored Links
Fully agree with mikhailfaradayski on this one. It's best to use a sparky, R66by. If you insist on doing this work yourself then you must contact your LABC before starting this work, and pay their fee. They will check the installation is safe and inspect/test.

As I mentioned above, assuming that you don't have the appropriate test equipment it will probably be cheaper to have a spark complete the work instead of DIY and notification.

Have a look here for a competent electrician in your area.

I know some one who had a similar item in a house they spent some time in. Biggest problem was mopping up condensation after each use until they had a massive noisy extractor fan installed and then it was stepping from hot shower into luke warm room.

And it didn't ( according to them ) clean any better than a normal hot shower. But it was a talking point.

Ok cheers guys.
I'll have to get a sparky in then.
To be honest the bunaglow does need some new wiring.
The lighting circuit wire is 2 core only there is not a earth present. So that will have to be replaced with 1.5mm twin and earth.
Thanks though guys for the quick and easy responce.

The lighting circuit wire is 2 core only there is not a earth present. So that will have to be replaced with 1.5mm twin and earth.
If there is no earth in the lighting then the wiring could be in the region of 40+ years old. You should not use any metal fittings or switches.

It would certainly be advisable to get this replaced - much beter now, before you decorate as well.

The best bet might be to have an electrician complete a PIR (inspection report). This way you will be able to find out what state the exisitng wiring is in and sort it now, before you paint/plaster/wallpaper and have problems after. ;)

Hi Bernard,

FWIW, we've had one for a few years now, i love it. The steamer is great in cold times, clears yr nostrils aswell if you got a bit of a cold. (love the flashy mood lighting, although the radio in ours is a bit crackly).

But yes, the downside is, no matter how warm the bathroom is, it will always feel cold when you get out of the box after a steam.
I did anticipate this before it was installed, decided the only good option was to put a towel rad close by so you can grab a nice warm towel as you step out.

The steam is quite well contained during use, only fogs the rest of the bathroom up when you get out. Our bathroom is fully tiled, so no damp lingers, opening the bathroom window for 1 minute afterwards clears the room.

Hi R66by,

Great choice!

BTW, i think twin without earth probably dates your install around 1966 era.
Very wise to get all the installation checked out!

mikhailfaradayski just a quick question,
your shower cubical, are they actually electric showers? i ask this because it has feeds for both hot and cold water, electric showers usually only have a cold feed.

the water is fed off the combi boiler, with a hot/cold mixer.

Its really just the steam generator (basically a kettle in a box) that takes up the electricity

do you think it would work as well without the combi boiler?
my place has oil heating.

do you think it would work as well without the combi boiler?
my place has oil heating.
If you have a storage cylinder it'll probably work better than with a combi (though i'm lead to believe modern combi's work a lot better than old ones like mine)

i suppose that all depends on pressures of the water you have at your house.

Some people believe that asking a plumber might help with that one.

Some people dont believe that at all :)

lol
i will ask my mate who is a plumber, just thought id ask you the question since u have one, thanks for your responses.
i will be fitting a twin pump anyways to get the pressure up to the 2 bar recommendation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back