Installation of a power shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to install a new shower (Triton AS1000 power shower) in my mothers bathroom Im confident enough to do the plumbing and electrics but would appreciate a little advice.

The shower requires that I wire it up to a 3amp fused spur but her CU does not have a RCD which I know is highly recommended. Can I install a 13Amp RCD spur and have a 3Amp spur off that to that shower?

or...

Should I install a shower RCD unit, via a Henley block? If so what size fuse would I use in the shower unit, a 5Amp? Plus I would normally use 10mm cable for future upgrade but the shower only requires 1mm any advice?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Just use a 13A RCD FCU but put a 3A fuse in it. Hey presto. A 3A RCD fused spur.

The spur needs to be taken from a socket circuit, NOT a lighting circuit.

Are you aware this work will be notifiable to your LABC?

Hi

Another question, the shower only requires 1.00mm cable, would it be ok to go with 1.5mm cable instead then I can buy a 50m reel as I presume 1.5mm has more use's than 1.00mm?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Are you aware this work will be notifiable to your LABC?

Sorry RF I didnt read that bit last night, Im going to do the work myself then have an electrician to certify it, is that acceptable?

Im going to do the work myself then have an electrician to certify it, is that acceptable?

Only if electrician inspects every stage of work

Not really if you are wanting to comply with the letter of the law.
There are two ways of going about notifiable works, notify your LABC before you start the work, pay their fee and let them oversee compliance with the building regs or employ an electrician who is a member of a competent person scheme to do the work for you and let them notify the work.

I should have added that Part P only applies to England and Wales too.

Nevermind, I have just seen the sticky about Part P, thankyou Spark.

Hi again,

I trying to get a supply to the power shower via a FCU RCD Ive found a FCU in the airing cupboard that supplies the water cyclinder its not a spur of the sockets it comes directly from the CU (old non rcd protected CU), the cable used is 2.5mm which goes straight into the FCU but doesnt return to the CU, isnt that wrong? Dont you have to return the cable to the CU or is that only when you are making a ring?

Any suggestions on how you would use this spur to feed the shower, I take it you cant spur of a spur?

Thankyou.

A 16/20A radial can feed as many sockets (on 2.5) as you like providing they don't serve a floor area exceeding 50m².

However, the OSG advises that an immersion heater should be fed from its own circuit.

Is there still an immersion attached?

triton power showers are a bugger if you dont commission them properley, read all instructions.

Hi,

Yes that spur is for the immersion heater, so i cant use that then. Like I said the cable feeding the immersion heater only runs one way from the CU theres no return to the CU is that ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back