gutter extensions or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The upvc gutters were not extended when my house was reroofed (before my time).

I’ve received several quotes for extensions except one man said the gutters were too old and brittle, it wasn’t worth extending. They’d all have to be replaced with larger, better ones, and the downpipes replaced at the same time (as they “came with the gutters anyway”??).
I can’t tell what state they’re in apart from they’re too short where the roof overlaps them at the corners.

I’m worried in case either he is trying it on or the other builders are prepared to fit short-term rubbish for a fee. I don’t have lots of money and I’m just trying to maintain the house as best I can; don’t want any fancy extras.

Sponsored Links
Finally managed to get out between downpours and dark skies.
The first pics are the gutters and barge boards which have received the most battering. Gutters aren't long enough but look ok to me. Barge boards need replacing cos they're rotten and I don't want to attract more woodworm!

Second lot of pics are the front extension/front door and loo built with the roof not at a steep enough pitch. The paint continually wears off here, and the render crumbles off. I thought it was roof but now I'm not sure. It may just be north winds hitting it. Inside the corner of the loo the wallpaper is peeling near the ground (nb not near the ceiling). It doesn't feel particularly damp (no more than the rest of the house!) and I thought it was the outside walls, but I'm beginning to think it's internal; condensation being attracted to the corner of the room. This also happens in kitchen and bedroom.

I've had various quotes from replacing all the fascias and gutters and pipes, to leaving barge boards cos they're just cosmetic, to entirely installing new roof above door. Everyone seems to say something different but I'm not sure they're all hitting the problem. The gutters are also too short round the rest of the house but aren't causing damage in the same way.

Grateful thanks in advance to anyone who can decipher this and offer any opinions

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back