Beginners Help Required- Painting Woodwork / Skirting Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, Just starting to decorate my 8 year old house. The door frames, door, windows and MDF skirting boards are all painted white. It is certainly not emulsion but I am not sure whether it is satinwood or gloss? Anyway to tell? It is a Barratt house by the way, 8 years old.
I am looking at rubbing these down lightly with sandpaper. Should I be using normal sandpaper or wet n dry sandpaper and do I need to wet the wetn dry? Also what sort/grade? Coarse, medium or fine(what grade). Or should I just go through all to get a good finish. I was going then to undercoat, then rub down slightly again (Sand? WetnDy? What sort of grade?) and then another coat of undercoat then rub down again.
Then either using gloss or satinwood as a final coat (Depending on discovering what I have already got?). I was gong to apply a coat and then rub down before the final coat. What type and grade of sandpaper or wet n dry would I use for this. Sorry for all the questions but this is the firat decorating for me, so I am new to all this. Thanks ever so much for your help. I just want to make sure I do a good job andthen not have to do it again for a good few years!

Sponsored Links
you only need to lightly rough up the woodwork so as to get the new paint to adhere i:e to make it key,medium grade glass paper i think would suffice,
if there is any bare wood then you need to prime 1st,then undercoat then top coat(gloss/etc?)you could then lightly sand down again if there are any high areas (ater the undercoat),i:e fibre starts to lift through painting,but i think that is unlikey as it is already painted.
no doubt someone with a lot more knowledge of decorating then myself will offer some better advice.
hth a bit.

Just give the woodwork a light sand with aluminium-oxide paper to key it , probably 100 grade .
Apply undercoat first if using glosss .
If using eggshell or satinwood then apply 2 coats & skip the undercoat as theyre self-undercoating.
Stick to oil-based paint as the quick-drying/acrylic stuff is fiddly & not very hard wearing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back