RADIAL / SPUR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HOW CAN I TELL WHETHER A SINGLE CABLE IS A SPUR OR THE END OF THE RADIAL CIRCUIT ?

Sponsored Links
Only by knowing where it goes - in a radial circuit there are as many ends as branches. Either measure with a meter, or isolate the circuit in sections.
regards M.

ps please dont SHOUT unless you want to make a special point, its only for EMPHASIS. thankyou.

I'm shouting because thought it would be a simple job!! I have a single cable going into a wall and disapearing into thin air and i can't work out where it goes!!

I want to move a plug socket up a couple of inches, but the cable is not long enough. Apart from replacing the cable (as i cannot tell where it comes from) how else can i make the cable reach further up?

Sponsored Links
great thanks for your help....much appreciated. think i might be using this website more in the future !!!!

Surely you know whether the circuit that supplies the socket is a ring or a radial???

Not that knowng that would help you find the other end of the cable....

Thank you for being so polite.

Why don't you find out? It's not difficult to establish.

And while you're at it, explain how knowing whether it is spur off a ring, or a branch of a radial, or the end of a radial, makes any difference to the fact that you can't find where it runs from, and so you can't replace it...

one way would be to look at the fuses

if there are two cables in
the fuse for the sockets
this may indicate a ring

test continuity of ring

also test the resistance at each socket after
looping the cables
if you have done your 2391 you should
know what reading you should get

if you are unsure
consult an electrician before anything goes
bang

oops

not been on for about a year
i did,nt look at the date.sorry

you might be able to answer a question for me

i am having an extention.
and the kitchen needs wiring

the choice is radial or ring

with it being a kitchen i would have thought
a 4mm2 cable 30amp
after checking diversity

it would be easier to wire a ring in 2.5 but are they not being
phased out in england.

what are your thoughts B.A.S

fiz said:
it would be easier to wire a ring in 2.5 but are they not being
phased out in england.
Not AFAIK.

My personal opinion is that they are an abberation, and are to be deprecated, so in your position I would install a radial.

If you installed a ring, would the loads be balanced around it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back