Changing one light to three!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a spot light track in my kitchen. The cable that feeds the track is from a ceiling rose/junction box in the loft. I want to replace the track with three hanging lights instead. I plan to mount the three lights to a piece of timber and then the timber to the ceiling. I want the three lights to all work at he same time off the same existing switch. HOW SHOULD THE LIGHTS BE WIRED UP?

Sponsored Links
No problem. You wire them in parallel. Connect all three earths (green/yellow) from the lights to the terminal that held the spot track earth. The three neutrals (blue) go where the spot track neutral once was and the three lives (brown) - well I think you get the idea.

Actually there could be a problem. The triviality of the question tells me that you've never wired up a light before. Beware - live wires bite!

No problem. You wire them in parallel. Connect all three earths (green/yellow) from the lights to the terminal that held the spot track earth
1)Please note that if the new unit is double insulated, you should not connect the earth to it, the earth should be terminated at the 'rose' / junction box level. If you are not sure check before connecting.
2) I would check that the new lights will not overload the wires connected to it.

good luck

Albert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back