Washer filling up with water over a few days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Indesit washer/dryer. It washes and drains fine.
However, when left for a few days when I go back the drum will be full of water.
I suspect there must be a small leak that is gradually leaking into the drum.
Has anyone else had a similar problem and have any idea where to start?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Not quite shure what you mean though. Dies it just need a new valve fitting? When you say passing I take it you just mean leaking? Is it something which a DIY'er could replace?

Thanks

yes he means the inlet valve is letting in water, its quiker to change than fix.

be careful though some are double and tripple inlet, look first

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I traced it back and found it defiitly was the hot water inlet valve and have now replaced it. Problem solved, no leaking.

However, just to make sure I hadn't done anything wrong I ran a cycle at 40 degrees to check it was taking water from the hot input.

However everytime it brough water in it was coming from the cold water inlet, not the hot (I know by turning the taps off). Is this normal for a 40 deg wash or should it be using the hot water inlet? I should have checked before I replaced really!

So when does it use the hot water inlet?

Thanks,
P.S. Its a 5 year old indesit washer dryer.

havent a clue about your brand, but a hotpoint will use both hot and cold for initial fill , and hot only for 60 or 95 initial fill

Yes, this is normal. You need to try a 60 degree or 95 degree wash to see if the new valve is working OK. If you don't want to actually wash anything at the higher temperature you can move the dial on to your 40 degree programme once it has finished filling up.

An empty hot wash every now and then is meant to be good for shifting scum and soap build up out of the washer, so can't hurt to do a 95 degree wash just to see if it is filling right, then leaving it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back