UPVC Door Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My porch door lock has always been stiff but its getting worse, its difficult to insert the key and you then have to wiggle the key before it will turn. I recently had a key cut for this lock and I have an original, its the same with both keys.

I've been looking at lock cylinders and found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Keyed-alike-E...ultDomain_3?hash=item587a646468#ht_1687wt_939

but how do I know what size lock I need?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
ask a local window comapny,im sure your door just needs adjusting and it will work fine.all doors adjust differently .

thanks but sometimes its an effort to push the key in what adjustment could be there?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use wd40 on a lock cylinder. Try graphite powder or I think silicon oil or teflon based lubricants is ok.

It's not the strike plates that are out of adjustment, and no adjustment is needed. If you are struggling to get the key into the keyway, and need to "wiggle" it before it will turn, then it's either a worn key, badly cut key, or sticking pins. As mentioned above, try a light oil (not graphite powder - you'll never get it off your carpet) - apply it onto the key and work it into the keyway. Do this to both sides.

If there's no improvement, remove the cylinder (search on here as it's been detailed many times before), and measure the distance from each end to the middle of the black cam. This will give you the split dimensions that you see quoted on websites. You'll need to check if the dimensions include the cam though, and if not - just deduct 5mm from each of your measurements. Hope that makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back