Kitchen Unit Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of fitting a new kitchen and have hit a problem. In order to get the units level (the floor is not quite perfect), there is a gap of approximately 30mm betweem the rear of the unit and the wall. As a result, when I fit the worktops, there will be no overhang and they'll look crap!

Is there any way to sort this issue without resorting to trying to pad a huge gap with plaster & tiles or planning an angle on the rear of the units to get them to fit!!

Also, any ideas how the corner piece is attached?? No screw holes, I'm thinking of of double sided tape as it is not load bearing in any way!

Photos attached below

Sponsored Links
By far the easiest way will be to cut a triangle-shaped piece off the backs of the cupboards.
[Start Suck-egg mode]
Place cupboards against wall as in your pictures. Use a scribe or a pair of compasses and set them to the width of the gap at its largest. Then running one side of the scribe/compasses down the wall, draw a pencil line down the cupboard. You'll have a pencil line on the cupboard parallel with the wall. Cut along this line with a jigsaw or similar and you'll find the cupboard will fit snug to the wall.
[End Suck-egg mode] ;)
I would glue the corner piece to one side and butt the other cupboard up to it. But that's not the only way!

i always start from the corner post in both directions,then once they are sorted then fit everything else.
and as stephen has said.

Sponsored Links
That's a sizeable run out - sell the wife on the idea of an upstand along back of worktop to provide an aesthetcially pleasing transition to the wall tiles, while making your own life so much easier ;)

As for the corner post, I use a small block or two of scrap timber screwed into rear of the post and then afixed to the center upright of the corner cab. - ie. screw it to the piece of support that runs down from the screw in your pic 3

Hi, the fitting of the base units are very important to the outcome of the worktop etc...
When I start to fit a kitchen, the 1st thing I do is find the highest point of the floor level, then level round the room from that (this is only encase you have an appliance located at the highest point)
The next thing is to check the walls for square and for straight, if you have a long straight edge of some kind that would help.
Most standard kitchen units are 570mm deep, so for instance if you start at a corner, run your straight edge along the front of the unit and where it meets the end of your run of units, it should be 570mm, in an ideal world this would be taken for granted, but this is reality lol, even in new build its still hit and miss to see a wall dead straight.
Your corner post would usually be fixed using an 'L' bracket, or modesty block, top and bottom.
If you need any more help, I can draw a diagram to help you with alignment of units so you can understand more,

Andy

Don't want to be super condescending but just on the off chance you haven't did you check the units are level front to back as well as along the line?

I or anyone else normally wouldn't mention it but the amount that wall is off the plumb is frightening which made me thinks to mention this in case.

Thanks for all the help on this one, all my units are now sorted, in line, level and up to the wall with the minimum amount of fuss!!

I think the photo exagerated the issue a little as the walls aren't out that much.

However, now looking for someone to fit the worktops for me, so a new thread here if anyone can help on that...
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1427252#1427252

Thanks again,

Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back