Ford Focus, key locked under bonnet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like an idiot I have managed to leave my car key on the engine and have closed the bonnet. I do not have a spare key. Is there any way to open the bonnet without too much damage? It's a 52 plate ford focus and you have to use the key to open the bonnet. Please Help!

Sponsored Links
easily done...

minium damage- get a new key cut. All you need for this is the code for the key. Your ford dealer will give you this (for free hopefully) if you give them the registration number. likely they'll want you to take the registration document in or something as proof you own the car.
But don't get them to cut the key- take the code to a key cutter it'll be cheaper.

If you want it in a hurry its going to mean some damage.. simply get a screw driver and hammer to the lock and smash the lock barrel off.. hit from the edge of the whole lock don't hammer into the lock itself, that won't work. will be messy though, likely to damage the whole area around the barrel in order to smash it off.

no easier way that i know of. personally i'd get a new key cut.

Had a similar problem with Mondeo MK3, key would not open the bonnet,
turn first to the left then to the right, just not engaging, no access to spring the mechanism from underneath the car, so assuming the Focus is the same locking method as the Mondeo....first swing the badge open, then using an electric drill, chain drill a series of small holes in an oval shape, join them together by using a larger drill, then break out the piece of plastic, you will then expose the lock, its held in by two shear headed bolts.
center pop the heads of each, then with a new 6mm drill drill them out, you will need to use a lot of pressure and cutting fluid will help, it's vital the drill is kept central to the bolt and not allowed to wander, once both bolt heads have been drilled out, the lock will just pull out, (replacement shear head bolts cost about two quid).
when the lock is removed you will find a plastic distance piece one end has a recess the other end a + cross like a screwdriver point, in fact if you have a very long screwdriver this can be used to open the bonnet catch.
I know this sounds long winded but it becomes apparent when actually doing the job.

Wotan (has last laugh) :LOL:
Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back