faulty mitre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought a mitre square and used it to make lines on skirting.

after cutting all the skirting i realised the mitre is slightly out so the cuts are not exactly straight :evil:

can i ask the shop to pay for the skirting???

Sponsored Links
Ish said:

after cutting all the skirting i realised the mitre is slightly out so the cuts are not exactly straight :evil:

GRC - The first thing the shop will do (if they're anything like the ones around here) will be to accuse your cutting technique of being at fault.

It would be reasonable for them to compare your mitre to all the others in the shop, and see if there's any variance. If there's significant error in yours, then suggest your chance of compensation depends on how much you paid for the mitre; if it was the cheapest in the shop, and not of any particular brand, then chances are low; if accepted as a decent or premium brand name, chances higher, since you expect more from them.

Regards, Graham

Regards, Graham

Ish said:

please see item 16

Graham it was the b&q's own brand mitre.

i will go there tomorrow and see what they say!

breezer, point noted!

Sponsored Links
ish said:

after cutting all the skirting i realised the mitre is slightly out so the cuts are not exactly straight

let me see if i have this right.

You are going to a big diy chain store, at which your brought a tool which you say is not right (I can't see it, and am not qualified to pass judgement on this tool i can not see)
This tool you used for its intended purpose along with a hand operated saw to cut some timber.

You now say, because the tool which you got from this big diy store (which you claim is not right) has caused your hand operated saw (which was operated by you) to in correctly cut some timber which you were going to use as skirting board.

So you now want the big diy store to replace the tool which you say is faulty, AND you want this big diy store to pay for the timber that you cut wrong because you claim that the tool they sold you is at fault? even though it was a hand operated saw that was operated by you and that you not only cut one piece of timber wrong, you caried on without checking and you then went ahead and cut them all wrong.

On the basis that you take the tool with you you expect to get a replacement tool or your money back, and money for the timber (That you probably did not get from this diy store, but you may have done) that you admit to cutting by hand with a hand saw, and you are claiming this timber that you have cut by hand saw is incorect because of their tool so you want compensation for something they can not see but that you admit to doing.?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i just dont know what to say

breezer

i only cut the timber wrong with my jigsaw because the mitre i bought is 100% for sure not accurate.

was i expecting too much to buy a mitre and thinking it should give me a perfect 90 degree angle??!! :confused:

Ish, this is the reality; quality costs.
If you are using one of these(and I've used one):
p1128245_x.jpg

You should be using one of these(and I've got one similar but the dw712):
p1262390_x.jpg

so its not even the faulty tool that you used to cut the timber with! Eye Eye Eye, someone hit me with a 14lb halibut to bring me back to this planet! :mad:

Ish said:
My next door neighbour has bought a mitre saw like the 1st picture in shaggy post and said the same as you, not cutting perfect. I said I couldn't find anything wrong with it :!: I knew what he was doing wrong and the same goes for most people, you must let the saw blade do the cutting and not forced it by your elbow, if it's not cutting, throw the saw away. Just move your saw backward & forward without any effort. I'm not saying this maybe not your problem but try what I said and let me know how you got on.

nstreet said:
Ish,

Am I right in reading that you are marking the line with one of these http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=21742 and then using a saw to cut to this line?

mine is a L shaped mitre

well i went and got the mitre replaced today. with the new mitre my cuts are bang on straight

after i made up some noise about my skirting being scrap because of their product they gave me a £10 voucher/credit slip thing as well

please see 10a

shaggy said:
Ish, this is the reality; quality costs.
If you are using one of these(and I've used one):
p1128245_x.jpg

You should be using one of these(and I've got one similar but the dw712):
p1262390_x.jpg

shaggy i agree but i thought for the amount of skirting i will be doing it's not worth me paying out a proper bit of kit like that :oops:

Ishwell said:
went and got the mitre replaced today. with the new mitre my cuts are bang on straight

after i made up some noise about my skirting being scrap because of their product they gave me a £10 voucher/credit slip thing as well

GRC - Victory for The Consumer. Did the £10 cover all or most of the cost of the skirting?

Regards, Graham

edited to corrrect quote

I've mentioned before that I need some new glasses; I read mitre saw instead of mitre square. I do spend a bit on tools and sometimes don't use them to justify the cost, but it's only me and the dog, so no woman to say 'How much!' :)
Good result though Ish, nice one.

GRC said:
Ishwell said:
went and got the mitre replaced today. with the new mitre my cuts are bang on straight

GRC - Victory for The Consumer. Did the £10 cover all or most of the cost of the skirting?

Regards, Graham

edited to corrrect quote

yes mate.i asked for £10 as that is how much the ruined skirting was worth. funny thing at first they said no chance on them paying for skirting. once i started making up a bit of noise about it they soon changed their mind :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back