ecomax800 central heating performing poorly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, been having problems with my boiler system. Most likely relates to the radiators not having inhibitor in them for a year - they've now been cleaned and have inhibitor in. Each rad works well in isolation when all others are closed off using the TRV's, so I guess any blockages there are now gone.

The problem now is that the boiler occasionally gets an F23 (water level low) first thing in morning when the timer kicks in, and then gets working after switching off and on again at the mains. However, a constant problem is that the heater will very quickly (about 15 seconds) go from say 34C up to 75C then go into overrun, which just isn't heating enough water up. The rads are just tepid at best. On some occasions the status goes to S.53 (delay mode due to lack of water).

The pressure is at 1.5, the pump speed is set at 100% via D.14, and I've set pump overrun (D.1) to 3 minutes in the hope that more hot water can get pushed round the system. I've also rebalanced the rads by setting the upstairs TRV's to 3, and downstairs to 4 except for the 2 downstairs rads which stay cold unless I direct all flow through them. I've also unscrewed the pumps centre screw slightly and seen a slight dribble, no obvious sound of air.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Twgas - can you tell me where I should be looking for the return filter? I've also had the centre screw off the pump whilst running and the impeller is moving (as per other thread).

Any ideas, particularly how to check for a blocked filter as this sounds quite likely as the culprit? I've also realised that my idea of balancing rads was wrong, I've now adjusted the upstairs ones, which are getting quite warm, by using the locking valve not the CRV.

Sponsored Links
probably a blockage in the boiler somewhere or poorly peforming pump. You should get a heating engineer to check the boiler out. But I'd be looking at the black rubber hose firstly for blockages, also check the pump, the filter is probably ok as it is fitted to protect the dhw heat exchanger and you haven't said thats a problem. If all else appears ok there could be a blockage in the main HE. As I said though, I'd be employing the services of a proffessional to check this out if I were you.

Now not getting any hot water - temp goes up very fast goes into s.53 then s.54 without giving out any hot water. Central heating likewise, runs up to 60c in under 10 secs before it goes into s.53

I was really hoping for a few things I could possibly check myself as I really cannot afford any professional services and the house gets repod soon anyway, so I'll likely leave it as the banks problem and I'll try to keep the family warm for a couple of weeks.

My 3 year old had an asthma attack yesterday and is in hospital - so at least he's warm now. Disappointing that no-one was able to spend any time trying to help me out, but like I say the house can blow up for all I care when the bank takes it back. Both suggestions were not specific enough to be any use - there are 2 black hoses and I do not know where the return filter is located.

The 'professionals' I have phoned can only say that any parts won't be around until next week anyway, and I'm not happy with the idea of not being able to pay them if they do manage to fix the problem.

Sorry about the boy, hope he's better soon.
A blockage,whether a filter or not, sounds favourite, could be the pump or anything that is related to circulation.

why not phone vaillant for a fixed price repair? its about £250 but at least they'll sort it. parts on the van.

Disappointing that no-one was able to spend any time trying to help me out, but like I say the house can blow up for all I care when the bank takes it back.

The 'professionals' I have phoned can only say that any parts won't be around until next week anyway, and I'm not happy with the idea of not being able to pay them if they do manage to fix the problem.

You were given specific advice as to what may be wrong.

Also advised to call a professional as no advice on the web will have any effect on your boiler and most boiler repairs need a highly trained engineer.

Its most likely based on what you have said that your boiler only needs cleaning. I fixed three boilers today without needing any spare parts.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back