Boiler is on and pump running when in off mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a British Gas Boiler 330 located in a garage. The Honeywell 2 channel switch is in twice mode but is currently in "down" period.
The boiler is fired and CH pump is running the weather is cold outside below 2 degrees.
I have a Drayton valve which has H W and Mid positions.

I have tried to run a fan heater in the garage to warm up the boiler but the systems is still running. A friend has advised I should have two separate valves on the replacement boiler system not the one original valve.

Please assist.....

Sponsored Links
I have a British Gas Boiler 330 located in a garage. The Honeywell 2 channel switch is in twice mode but is currently in "down" period.
The boiler is fired and CH pump is running the weather is cold outside below 2 degrees.
I have a Drayton valve which has H W and Mid positions.

I have tried to run a fan heater in the garage to warm up the boiler but the systems is still running. A friend has advised I should have two separate valves on the replacement boiler system not the one original valve.

Please assist.....
still same today, only way I can get to stop CH is to go to boiler in garage and turn it to lowest position Summer temp position. This in turn stops boiler firing and the CH pump then stops.
Outside temp was 3 degrees and now I put the heat on boiler back to 65 degrees the honeywell switch is in off position on both channels and the boiler is fired up and pump running again.

Could be frost protection.

Do you have a thermostat in the garage that looks just like a room stat but is labeled from3 to 10 degs.

Could be frost protection.

Do you have a thermostat in the garage that looks just like a room stat but is labeled from3 to 10 degs.

No I Dont, I have just googled one of these items and I can get one with a Pipe thermostat too recommended for garage use.

Would this stop the CH from being on all the time? How would this help.. sorry for my ignorance

Sponsored Links
Could also be a failed motorised valve. May need a new motorhead.

Well if you haven't got a separate frost stat, it's all on because of something else!

If you've got an OLD BG 330 it's an Ideal Classic, no internal frost stat.
If it's a later one, digital display under front flap. it's a Glowworm Flexicom, internal frost stat comes on at 3º.

Once the boiler's above the set temp, it should turn off.

If it's NOT that, it'll be a stuck valve: For CH the 3 way valve opens and presses a switch inside to bring the boiler/pump on. The valve, or just the switch, can be stuck.

I hope not as that was changed only last week. From the original British Gas Mid position valve to a same design Drayton design.
If they didn't drain down and change the whole valve, it could be the valve sticking. Often "one" just changes a head with the switch in .

The Pipe stat you've seen is for use with a conventional frost stat. Frost stat brings the boiler on and the pipe stat turns it off again when the return pipe is up to some temperature like 10 degrees, well above freezing but not enough to bother the house.

Well if you haven't got a separate frost stat, it's all on because of something else!

If it's a later one, digital display under front flap. it's a Glowworm Flexicom, internal frost stat comes on at 3º.

If it's NOT that, it'll be a stuck valve: For CH the 3 way valve opens and presses a switch inside to bring the boiler/pump on. The valve, or just the switch, can be stuck.

I hope not as that was changed only last week. From the original British Gas Mid position valve to a same design Drayton design.
If they didn't drain down and change the whole valve, it could be the valve sticking. Often "one" just changes a head with the switch in .

The Pipe stat you've seen is for use with a conventional frost stat. Frost stat brings the boiler on and the pipe stat turns it off again when the return pipe is up to some temperature like 10 degrees, well above freezing but not enough to bother the house.

The emergency plumber did a twist with the pliers on the valve but it did visually look stiff to me. The house was empty unused for 6 months prior to me moving in.
The BG 330 does have digital display hence Glow warm model.
So as the frost stat internal is set at 3 degrees my system will run for a period of time just until it is higher than 3 degrees, ( I assume it will run the CH). This would not normally be all the time as at present?
Hence the sticking valve issue. Would you recommend one of the pipe stats I guess this would also stop the system from running all the time too.
I did remove the orange wire today and the motorhead did move to other position, but later when I switched the Hot water channel to on, on the timer no response just sat in Heating position.
A friend plumber suggested two separte valves would this be better than the one?

The emergency plumber did a twist with the pliers on the valve but it did visually look stiff to me. The house was empty unused for 6 months prior to me moving in.
So as the frost stat internal is set at 3 degrees my system will run for a period of time just until it is higher than 3 degrees, ( I assume it will run the CH). This would not normally be all the time as at present?
Hence the sticking valve issue. Would you recommend one of the pipe stats I guess this would also stop the system from running all the time too.
I did remove the orange wire today and the motorhead did move to other position, but later when I switched the Hot water channel to on, on the timer no response just sat in Heating position.
A friend plumber suggested two separte valves would this be better than the one?

Tonight I have turned boiler back down to the min position. Boiler turned off, pump ran on to clear water then stopped. The timers are in off position.

I turned Hot water timer to ON and the mis position valved moved to W.
I then turned it back off and it is now in Mid position. Would this indicate the Valve is operating ok?

Tonight I have turned boiler back down to the min position. Boiler turned off, pump ran on to clear water then stopped. The timers are in off position.

I turned Hot water timer to ON and the mis position valved moved to W.
I then turned it back off and it is now in Mid position. Would this indicate the Valve is operating ok?

Just to let you know it was a stuck Mid position valve. The valve and motor head were changed. The sticking was caused by 8 dead mice in the central heating header tank. Been there a while so the water in system was a little dirty to say the least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back